Starting custom build gain - Throttle body ticking

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Soliton

Starting custom build gain - Throttle body ticking

Post by Soliton »

Hi guys,

After the "back wheel fell off" disaster I have started again. I bought the same year, make, model and colour and am rebuilding a new bike. Can't shake the fact that of the R series bikes that model is my favourite.

Quick question. How many km should I have on the clock before I start to hear the right hand side throttle body ticking. I can hear a solid even "tock, tock" sound when the bike is running. If I put pressure on the butterfly shaft by pressing on the engine side of the throttle body, the ticking quietens markedly. This suggests to me that there is wear between the butterfly shaft and the shaft bushing. I know this is a recognised issue but it just seems very early (only 65k km on the clock).

Any thoughts.

Regards,

Sol.
"Better to live rich than die rich."
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Starting custom build gain - Throttle body ticking

Post by kirby »

I rebuilt mine at about 90K miles and it had just started. Get a kit and rebuild or get a shop to do it, not hard but for the first time might be confusing.
It'll drive you crazy till you do it.

My thoughts.

Once you take the TB off from the bike, you have to:
• take off the 2 small screws holding the plate to the shaft;
• take the aluminum cap off;
• go WOT and take off the throttle plate from the shaft by pushing it towards one side or another in the throttle body;
• take off the big screw holding the pulley to the shaft;
• take off the pulley from the shaft;
• put the throttle spring and plastic spacers somewhere;
• get the thin washer and put it somewhere secure;
• take off the o-ring towards the pulley;
• using your fingers, push the shaft out towards where the aluminum cap used to be;
• take out the outer o-ring;
You will now have the shaft and a washer and a c-clip on it. Take them off.

Disassembling is pretty easy, just follow the above steps in the order I have written them and it should be ok.

Now... How to reassembly everything.

First thing is to get the old bushings out. They might not be worn, but you will have to take them out and put the new ones from the kit instead.

This is what I have used to get them out. Some may say you need to heat the TB in order to expand and get them out easy, but I consider that they are too small and expand themselves because of that.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

Thx Kirby,

When the throttle bodies are fully closed/neutral there is an adjustment on the engine side that has blue paint on it. Everything I have read says..."Don't touch this or your head will explode" I gather this is set at the factory and is balanced between the throttle bodies.

If one takes out the bushings and attached bits and pieces how does this affect the "blue paint" setting?

Rs,

Sol
"Better to live rich than die rich."
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

If you take the TB off you will see that the butterfly screwed onto the shaft is not perpendicular to the airflow with the throttle stop screw run all the way out so that the spring closes the butterfly completely. Its at about a 5 to 8 degree angle when closed and it does shut off all airflow in that position. If you just leave the blue painted screw alone the setting will most likely not throw things off.
If you (I can't remember as its been awhile but I'm thinking you can) If you can do the rebuild without breaking the paint seal. If you do there are two methods to put it back right.
One is the count the threads on the stop screw and put it back to that position when reassembling. As long as the TPS paint has not been disturbed and the throttle screw on the left is also in the same condition you can use the stop screw(right side) to balance the TB at idle with vacuum device or gauges.

Its pretty simple, the paint just shows the BMW techs that the factory setting has not been changed.

Everything is keyed to the ECU from the TPS position, first TPS to "0" then the stop screw to about 385 mv. That tells the ecu that the throttle is at idle.
The ticking will get worse, it really was driving me crazy, so its a good thing to fix it! Ha!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER