Smart turn system

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Smart turn system

Post by sstein »

Anyone heard of or tried this system? Compatible with 02 R1150R?

https://www.safer-turn.com/us/smart-turn-system/
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Re: Smart turn system

Post by Buckster »

https://kisantech.com/mag/signalminder.html
I have this which does the same thing although the safer turn system seems "smarter". I like that the Signalminder allows me to run my directionals as running lights for more visibility at night for sure.
Buckster '03R
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Buckster wrote:https://kisantech.com/mag/signalminder.html
I have this which does the same thing although the safer turn system seems "smarter". I like that the Signalminder allows me to run my directionals as running lights for more visibility at night for sure.
Another happy Kisan SM-5 user. There's something about the running lights mode that makes cold dark rainy night riding better.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

+1 on the Kisan SM-5. Love mine.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sstein

Post by sstein »

I went for it and ordered one. Will keep the forum posted.
2002 R1150R
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

I am on my 2nd Kisan SM-5 in 13 years.

FYI:
when you replace the OEM turn signal unit with the SM-5, store the OEM unit under your seat.
Years ago, my first Kisan SM-5 shorted out and had to ride home several hundred miles from a rally, with no turn signals.
My son, who was following me (just got his license) was not happy....he was not experienced with hand signals.. :)

My OEM unit stays under my seat now.....things can and do happen.

herb
sjbmw
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

Post by lcarlson »

I’ve had my SM-5 for sixteen years — no fails.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

Very interested in this. Having removed The dreaded Servo brake system and using the blue relay to run the brake lights I wonder if the KSM-5 will functiin properly?
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

I’m also interested in picking up an sm-5. Does everyone who has one use the flashing brake light feature? Looks like a good option to enable and it’s included in the unit..
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Post by RadicalR1150R »

I don't use the flashing brake option..I use the rear running light/turn signal option, which is decided by the one wire from the sm-5 either to the tail light wire side or stop light wire side on the tail light socket.. That's my set up anyway.
I've got an aftermarket license frame with dual row(top & bottom of plate) led tail & stop lights with yellow turn signal indicators which also are running light. Very bright... I just hope it helps..
Also a third brake light, led wired for just the brake, mounted where the reflector went..
Sounds like a lot of ziggy boom, :lol: but it's quite clean.
If I remember correctly, you either have the running light/blinker or flashing brake/blinker option, or auto off turn signals only?
Maybe someone else will correct me on this..
Gonna research photo posting & get a picture up here soon..

I'll bet we've all left that blinker on & seen others do it too, (I feel foolish when I do) but to me, turning it off is all part of getting down the road safely.
sstein

Post by sstein »

So I'd like to take this thread back to its original topic - the Smart Turn System.

I come to you all with full admission of shame and poor decision making, but I've come to a point and I'd like to solicit your help.

I'd like to start by obviating the need for comments - tongue in cheek or otherwise - about what I have done to my bike. Whatever I have done so far is reversible.

Anyway, here is the story.

I went ahead and purchased this Smart Turn System from a firm in Slovenia (yes, Slovenia). I was very impressed by the reviews and videos on youtube and Mark (the support person who has been pretty responsive) assured me that it would be compatible with the 02 R1150R and sent me special directions for my bike.

Basically the unit has 6 wires: 1 power, 1 ground, 2 to splice into L turn signal wire, 2 to splice into R turn signal wire, and 2 that tap into the turn signal reset wire.

I am sure I have identified and spliced into the turn signal wires correctly just above the connectors that sit on the bike frame under the gas tank, and I am sure that I have the unit grounded correctly.

What I am asking is:
1) Does anyone know for sure which wire on the 02 R is the turn signal reset wire ie the color pattern? The included instructions list it as brown/white but that does not seem to be working for me. Clymer has a brown/white on the wiring diagram but is is not labeled.
2) which wire would be a good power (only on with ignition) wire in that same area?

A search on Youtube for "Smart Turn System" will show many videos if anyone is curious about this craziness.

Any help would be appreciated.

And I know I should have gone with the Kisan....

Thanks in advance.

Steven
2002 R1150R
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

The brown wire with white stripe connects the "Cancel" button to the turn signal controller to shut off a flashing turn signal when pressed (this sounds like your "Turn Signal Reset") . You can find it in the bundle that connects to the turn signal controller unit located in the electrical junction box under the seat. It is the bigger box on the right hand side of the center row in the electrical junction box. After dislodging that unit from its mounting in the electrical junction box, there is a finicky lever that locks a multi-conductor plug to it that can be released by swinging it up and over the plug (IIRC).

A good switched power source to use could be the grey wire with black stripe coming from fuse #2 (2nd fuse from left-hand side of bike) which supplies power to the tail light. That fuse is rated for 4A and the tail light draws about half that, so hopefully your turn signal controller doesn't draw more than a couple amps.
Rich
ADIOS!
sstein

Post by sstein »

Hey thanks. That is quite helpful. I was able to locate the brown wire with white stripe at the connector mounted on the frame under the gas tank. I assume that is the same reset wire.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
2002 R1150R
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Sure! Let us know how it works?
Rich
ADIOS!