2004 R1150R headlight assembly help

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

bmwgsrider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

2004 R1150R headlight assembly help

Post by bmwgsrider »

I have a 2004 BMW R1150R where the headlight fell out of the housing and I am befuddled on how its suppose to go back together and needing a little assistance on what I may possibly not seeing as I seem to not be able to get it back into the housing. I am not sure if I am missing a piece or if something broke in the process that I might not know about. I look at the parts fische and not seeing anything out of the ordinary that I might be missing. I do think there is a rubber grommet that is missing an unsure if it has anything to do with attaching it back into the housing. I can't seem to figure out how the clip is suppose to hold the light into the housing... the clip doesn't seem to hook onto the lip... perhaps the clip isn't attached correctly as I am not sure how the clip is suppose to go... and when you try to put the light back into the housing.. the screw will not tighten and the light seems to pop back out of the housing... I am not sure if the whole light is broken and need a whole new light assembly. Thanks in advance. I try to search the super information highway and not finding anything on how the light suppose to attach let alone pictures to tell if I am missing something let alone if something broken to where I seem to not be able to re-attach. Thanks so much in advance.

https://bmwgsrider.smugmug.com/Motorcyc ... -KfnqcX4/A

https://bmwgsrider.smugmug.com/Motorcyc ... -Hm2WNW9/A

https://bmwgsrider.smugmug.com/Motorcyc ... -82jPkZG/A

https://bmwgsrider.smugmug.com/Motorcyc ... -nSDd4fn/A

https://bmwgsrider.smugmug.com/Motorcyc ... -GjJhjBW/A
BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

Re: 2004 R1150R headlight assembly help

Post by BadToTheBown »

I can't tell you I know because I've not worked on one of these headlights before but looking at your pics, it appears you have these clips that are drawn up by screws in the outer bezel. Given their apparent angle, I thing they will pull forward and outward to the inside of bowl your light assembly goes into, I'd consider loosening the screws a bit, hold the bezel up to the bowl and tighten the screws, my best guess anyway...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Don't know if there's any clues here and you may have already seen this (It's really about installing an HID bulb but shows removal and reinstall of the headlight. It looks like the lamp housing trim hooks at the top before tightening the bottom screw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_sjEoRglAc
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

You're prolly missing the chrome dome-head flat-screwdriver bolt that sits at the bottom of the nacelle. Hook the headlamp into the bowl with the lug at the top - swing the lamp downwards - screw the bolt upwards at the bottom of the assy into the bracket. You need to stand on yr head to do this effectively.
It's standard ftng instruction procedure with any kind of Lucas "King of Darkness" headlamp - Morris Minor, any classic Brit cars, etc., etc. The bottom bolt always falls out and gets lost.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

As Sykospain says.
Replace the chrome headed screw partly into the bendy bracket, with the clamping part of the clip towards the shell . Clip the top of the headlight rim over and behind the raised lip on the top of the shell. Keeping the rim engaged, push and hold the bottom of the rim snugly in place. If it looks like you have an even gap all round, then carefully tighten the angled Philips screw. The tightening action should pull the bent clip down and towards the front of the bike, and engage with a lip inside the bottom of the shell. If this does not work at first, then loosen the screw a bit and re-assemble. It will be obvious when the rim is clamped into place. Practice makes perfect. You may have to adjust and shape all the clamping elements if there is any distortion.

As said above, its an old and well tried system, dating at least to the 1940s onwards, on cars and bikes with round headlights.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
Mr.Frequent
Basic User

Post by Mr.Frequent »

sykospain wrote:You're prolly missing the chrome dome-head flat-screwdriver bolt that sits at the bottom of the nacelle. Hook the headlamp into the bowl with the lug at the top - swing the lamp downwards - screw the bolt upwards at the bottom of the assy into the bracket. You need to stand on yr head to do this effectively.
It's standard ftng instruction procedure with any kind of Lucas "King of Darkness" headlamp - Morris Minor, any classic Brit cars, etc., etc. The bottom bolt always falls out and gets lost.
That's correct.The spring clips hold the reflector and lens into the bezel ,but the the chrome screw and spring retainer at the bottom hold the entire bezel-lens-refector in the headlight bucket. The whole thing is a Bosch unit ,so take care of the parts -good relacements are expensive.
Note on the top of the nacelle ( bucket) there is a lip with a narrow raised area. Line up the lip of the nacelle under the bezel notch , and push the bottom back while trying to start he screw threads as BadToTheBown has said.

I got re-aquainted with this last week ; I finally found an LED headlight replacement bulb for the H4 .4000 lumens, 30 W . It works just great!
RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Post by RadicalR1150R »

Not to take away from the OP post, but would you care to share the source & or part number for that LED replacement bulb?
Thanks.
mdbenson
Basic User

Post by mdbenson »

Here is the one I found that works.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... sink/3930/
Mr.Frequent
Basic User

Post by Mr.Frequent »

RadicalR1150R wrote:Not to take away from the OP post, but would you care to share the source & or part number for that LED replacement bulb?
Thanks.
Me? Sure.

In my non-professional judgement and reading for too may hours , decided I didn't want a fan -cooled LED. They are noisy , and I can't imagine a fan spinning >10,000 rpm lasting that long. I didn't really want to add a set of driving lights that were also H4 bulbs.

The lumen claims on all the LED lights are questionable,and it's really lux rating we are after ; the best we can do is find a unit with a trusted brand of LED chips on it. I settled on this Auxbeam fanless because the light is white without a blue cast ,the wattage use is lower than some 7000 claimed lumen bulbs,there's no ballast dongle or resistor needed to prevent CANBUS problems.There are no wiring demands over the stock harness since 25W is lower than the OEM H4.

It doesn't get that hot with it's heavy aluminum heat sink and is truly plug and play for the R1150R headlight bucket depth .. 4000 lumens in this brand is quite bright: I'm confident I won't be overdriving my distance of vision at 65-70 mph , and the cut off of the beam High or low is a very good pattern. No blinding oncoming traffic that I've noticed.

Best part ? They're sold in pairs because so many buy them for cars and trucks. I spent $33 , and still have a spare.

https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Headligh ... dpSrc=srch