nOOb questions regarding maintenance at high mileage?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

martinjmpr
Basic User

nOOb questions regarding maintenance at high mileage?

Post by martinjmpr »

Did a search but couldn't really find anything on point, so I'm posting here.

I got my yellow R1150R in 2013 with about 50k on the clock. It currently has 69k. I've done 2 Saddlesore 1000 rides on the bike and I really like it.

I've even tried to put it up for sale a few times to get something newer but I always end up pulling the ad because I can't think of another bike out there that I like as much!

So now I've figured I'm in the for the "long haul" with this bike. I plan on keeping it forever.

BUT, that brings me to the point where I want to make sure it's taken care of. Over and over again I hear the same refrain: "Those oilhead boxers will last forever - as long as they're properly cared for!" It's that last part I wanted to check on.

I'm a little embarrassed to say it but the only maintenance I've done in 4 years and 20k miles is replacing the tires (twice), having the valves adjusted (once), and having the brake pads replaced (oh and of course oil/filter changes, at least once a year!)

This is the only BMW I've ever owned and also the only dry-clutch bike I've ever owned (owned lots of other bikes but nothing with a dry clutch.)

So here's my question: What other maintenance chores do I need to be thinking about at 16 years and 70k miles? I've heard the driveline oil/grease needs changing and I'm assuming the transmission could probably use new fluid as well. Anything else? My Roadster has the ABS and servo brakes, other than changing brake fluid, is there anything else I need to do to maintain the system (which works fine, BTW.)

I'm not much of a mechanic. I can change oil and do other basic things but anything that would require a teardown of the bike I'd likely farm out to a local independent BMW mechanic. We have several in our area and the one I use is very well respected and has great prices for his work (Bavarian Motorcycles West in Denver.)

Thanks in advance! I'll try not to be such a stranger on these forums!
Martin AKA Zapp Branigan (on ADV)
Littleton, CO
2002 R1150R, 2002 Triumph Bonneville 790
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Re: nOOb questions regarding maintenance at high mileage?

Post by EasyBee »

Well I don't know how you changed the brake fluid. According to that PITA procedure? Here's the link https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tymrxnbw68pk ... 3.pdf?dl=0
Here's the official maintenance schedule https://www.dropbox.com/s/lintoceh78rcv ... e.pdf?dl=0
Here's the BMW maintenance manual https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cb55xst44iw3 ... S.pdf?dl=0
In case you'll ever need it, ABS removal https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3dcisxdm66ff ... l.pdf?dl=0
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

The above links are great. The annual ABS service/flush is a MUST. If you don't the system will give various errors and you'll end up replacing the pump ($2400.00) or like me you'll pull the system.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

Annual ABS fluid change?
I get the main dealer to do mine every few years as I'm not that competent. But last time it was astonishingly expensive. £100 plus iirc. [-(
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

"Annual ABS fluid change?" Yes!
Excuse the strong language https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlmZH6SKUCc
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

The ABS bleed is not terribly difficult but maybe a bit tedious. But the system is so incredibly expensive (Pump-$2400) it's foolish (IMO) to not do an annual bleed service. Last time I checked (5/2/18) the one rebuilder (ModuleMaster) is still trying to source parts for the iABS system.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

EasyBee wrote:"Annual ABS fluid change?" Yes!
Excuse the strong language https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlmZH6SKUCc
That guy is hilarious.
While he claims annual brake fluid changes he has a video to replace fork seals and claims you never have to replace or add Fork oil as it “does F#*¥€ing nothing”. I disagree since my low mile (7800) 2002 roadster fork oil looked filthy and had gelatinous snot in the bottoms of the fork legs. I had one bad seal so replaced both, cleaned and refilled with Bel-ray fork oil.
If it does nothing why is there even fluid and a specific amount installed? :-k
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

I'm needing to replace my fork seals as well. A few cracks in the seal. How difficult did you find the procedure?
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

towerworker wrote:I'm needing to replace my fork seals as well. A few cracks in the seal. How difficult did you find the procedure?
Easiest Fork Seals I've done. Bought Moose racing seals off Ebay cheap. I used this You Tube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFX2V6-svVE
Skip the string thing on re-assembly. I did not heat up the stantions, I just used some thick armour all around the seals.
To get the snot out of the bottom of the stantions I sprayed contact cleaner in after reinstalling the bottom plug and let them soak a bit. Agitate, drain, flush with fresh fork oil then fill them with 470ml (just shy of 16 oz.) each. I had 3 - 1/3 bottles of bel ray in various weights and just mixed them together to get 10 wt....or so. Hardest part was fork brace clamp bolts had galvanic oxidation. I almost stripped the hex on one (replaced). Once cracked loose I sprayed them with Belray 6 in 1 and worked it into the threads before removing.
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Annual brake flush - yes most definitely.
Even more important for the hydraulically-actuated single-plate clutch :
REPLACE THE FLUID EVERY YEAR of regular use.
incidentally, this morning I had an hour on a 2016 naked R1200R with all the electronic wizardry, he wet clutch, the shaft on the left, and the claimed 123bhp from the radically-redesigned boxer motor.
My verdict:-
Nothing short of phenomenal. The darned thing will do ANYTHING you want it to do without turning a hair or batting an eyelid. My only complaint - the seat's too hard.
Otherwise, I'd sell my granny to get one....if I still had a granny.
AL temporarily in the UK.
Last edited by sykospain on Thu May 03, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

https://postimg.cc/image/5mbq0k2ol/
2016 model in "Thunder Grey Metallic", ¿ what ? ? with the latest cruise / traction / lean-angle control and refined ABS, tyre pressure monitor, Pro-Quickshift for clutchless changes, except in 1st and 2nd when there's an almighty loud ker-clunk, plus the essential centre-stand, a tall Givi screen and Givi handguards, full satnav kit, pair of CREE driving lights, cyl head protectors, £600 Akra end-can, interesting protector plate bolted stood-off to the front of the crankcase housing that when unprotected from flying muck, usually gets splattered in crud thanks to the ridiculously too-short front mudguard, a massive rear hugger, plus BMW pannier rails and top-box plate and DataTag anti-theft.
What more do you want ?
But as I said, the seat's too hard for my poor antique arse.
https://postimg.cc/image/xz77r1qzp/
So very, very, very tempting....
Get thee behind me, Allan Jefferies.
https://postimg.cc/image/4y2vh4yol/
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

ABS fluid change does not seem to be a diy proposition-or is it?
I contacted a well rated local motorcycle mechanic, as well as the main dealer. He had owned GS bikes in the past, but declined to attempt the fluid change because he did not have the necessary plug in computer (I've forgotten the reference). The main dealer meanwhile came back with a complete clutch and brake fluid change at £178 ! I was gulping at that price, when she said a foc recall for the ignition switch wiring loom was to be done. 16 years on? but am booked in.
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Hi gregor,
Have a peek at the ABS flush instructions in threads on the UKGser. ADVrider and BMW Sport Touring forums.
You CAN do it without the aid of a dealership or a BMW MoDiTec computer diagnostic tool or similar.
But it involves removing the sodding tank, as in all even minor maintenance jobs on the pre-2013 unrevised-motor boxers. On the post-2013 bikes, you simply for instance remove a side-panel with one turn-button, and the battery can be slid out.
AL, temporarily in the UK, where Labour once again muffs it.
Last edited by sykospain on Sat May 05, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

:? Fair enough. It's not a job I want to tackle though.
But I'm left wondering why an apparently experienced ex- BMW rider and motorcycle mechanic would turn down the chance to make some money. :?
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

Given the time and effort, I decided to do the brake fluid change every two years; I have a 2004 with ABS. Last time - after that interval - the fluid still looked clean. OK...the stuff coming out of the rear system was a little brown but I was told that's the usual state of affairs. I wanted to farm the job out to someone else but couldn't find anyone nearby that I could trust. Bemmer Boneyard - a great resource - has the funnel you need for $33 US. Don't know how much it would cost to ship across the pond.
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I would suggest replacing the brake lines, if they are the OEM originals .
I had a brake line failure at 11 years, the line from the steering head to the wheel broke at the fitting at the top of the line .
I got replacement stainless lines for less than OEM rubber replacement lines .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Post by RadicalR1150R »

Hey AZBMWRIDER. Do you have a source or part number for the stainless lines?
What's it like getting the new lines on & bled?
I just did the iABS, front & rear caliper...
Thanks..
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

Here's where I got my brake lines for the 'R' .

https://spieglerusa.com

Doesn't look like it will link to the site, but there is the business address .
I paid $190 for front and rear lines 5 years ago looks like the price is about $40 more now .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .