Brake rotors inquiry

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Brake rotors inquiry

Post by Buckster »

I bought all new brake pads front and back. 2003 non ABS with 74k on the clock. I have never changed front pads because they never needed it. I am guessing that they have never been changed as I bought it with 17K. I don't know what these pads are made of...but I can not complain about the longevity of them!
So the back rotor has grooves/waves so I am going to replace that but the fronts feel almost as smooth as glass!
I was wondering if there is anything I should/could do to these rotors as far as cleaning or sanding to get any possible "glaze" off or just leave them alone.
Thanks!
Buckster '03R
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Brake rotors inquiry

Post by kirby »

I'd just clean them and if no apparent damage or signs of warping (pulsing of the brake handle) leave them alone. If you use the stock BMW pads they should last a long time. Some of the metallic aftermarket pads can be abrasive, If aftermarket pads you might try Kevlar type.
I've always used the BMW part.
I mainly advocate the beemer pads because of the testing done by the manufacturer to me ridged standards especially the TUV.

My .02c
Last edited by kirby on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

I have changed them at least once on my lower mileage (29,000) 2002 ABS bike.
On the basis that if you strip and inspect and clean the assembly, it would be foolish not to replace the old parts (like spark plugs) even if they don't need replacing. I think I used methylated spirits , (uk name) and cotton buds to clean the discs and vent holes. Personal satisfaction as well. Used oem parts from Motorworks in Huddersfield. The discs were not noticeably grooved and were within the thickness specified.
On my old non ABS K75, the pads were easier to change but I soon found that non oem pads caused squealing.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

OEM brake pads on my '02 R1150r, were manufactured by Tokico, referred to as 'green ' pads, they are a metallic, or sintered compound .
I replaced my front pads at around 45,000 miles, 74,000 km, had a front brake line failure, the flexible line from the steering head to the caliper broke .
I checked the pads and they were close enough to be replaced .
I was not sure what to get, finally decided on EBC HH compound, a metallic material as well .
After 25,000 miles, 41,000 km, no unusual wear on the front rotors .
In the instructions, the comment was made that with the increase in brake performance these pads provide, use caution until you get used to the performance .
I thought it was line of BS .
I was very impressed with the increased braking, over the OEM pads .
They were less costly than OEM pads, I think at the time 2 sets of OEM pads were around $180-190 US, EBC pads $75-80 US for 2 sets .
I did not do anything to the rotors when I replaced the pads, installed pads end of story .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

My ventilation holes were partly blocked with a black and metallic substance, hence the use of cotton buds to improve matters. Well, it felt good. Maybe the alcohol fumes.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
Mr.Frequent
Basic User

Post by Mr.Frequent »

I'm thinking if your fronts "feel almost as smooth as glass" then perhaps you have a stuckretracted piston or caliper/ fluid pressure problem. There shouldn't be any way you could get 79,000 on one set of pads with rotors staying so nice.
Just a suspicion - but I would check it out . :idea:
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

The mileage one gets out of a set of brake pads is dependent on a lot of factors.
How many highway miles, how hard you ride hence how hard you brake and of course the pads themselves.
The last 5 Motorcycles I’ve owned, save the “classics”, have had EBC HH brake pads installed.
Every single one had improved feel with more consistent braking force. They also cause less wear on the rotors and never squealed. They do wear a bit faster than OEM pads, a trade off I’ll take.
Just installing a set on the R1150R with the ODO at 7800 miles. Looking forward to bedding them in and scrubbing in the Pilot Road 4 skins.
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao