Final drive big bearing fragged

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

DAM650
Basic User

Final drive big bearing fragged

Post by DAM650 »

Noticed some oil on the rear tire, and when i took the wheel off the seal came with it. I was lucky to make it home.

Looked on parts fiche and all I found was a full rear end. no numbers for bearing or seal.

I have the prowess to replace myself, just need a little direction as to what parts to order and from where.

Maybe the new bearing will increase my mileage. Although last service about 8K back when I put new fluids in the trans and final there were no signs of wear.

Please let me know. My bike is my main ride, please let me know.

Thanks

DAM
2002F650GS ABS Black Betty 89K
2002R1150R ABS Misty Blue 48K
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Final drive big bearing fragged

Post by kirby »

Try MAX.bmw.com fiche if that doesn't work a call to the guys at beemerboneyard. They are good about advice on such things and will help.

Not trying to make light have changed the seals and the part was purchases at max. I think their fiche will show the part and #. Not that hard for just a seal.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Here's the relevant video for you :-
Again it's from James at SuperBikeSurgery in Glos., UK. The full story - and i mean FULL...one hour and twelve minutes :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVK_lpFoFok
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
Railbender
Lifer
Donating Member #: 689

Post by Railbender »

Anton Largiader is THE man for such work. Here a link to an article he wrote on the subject; http://bmwra.org/otl/final-drives If it was mine I would send it to him and have it done right. Proper shimming is critical. http://vamotorrad.com/benchwork/
BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

Post by BadToTheBown »

I have a final drive off of 2005 R1150R with 20K on it. Non-ABS, I'm not going to use.
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer
DAM650
Basic User

Post by DAM650 »

thanks everyone. i got it back together in a few hours. wound up getting the happy guy brand from the local stealership. although i did source NFC brand (Austrian) for about 90 shipped from France. That was the best I could come up with after shopping for hours online and calling locally.

Just broke down and got it from Bring More Wallet to get me rolling faster.

I did not worry about shimming, just reused the old ones.

sourced a seal on amazon for $8 delivered prime two days free.

rode about fifty miles and drained with no noted chaff, retorqued, refilled and over 1500 miles with no leaks, issues.

she is notably smoother and mileage jumped 3 to 4 mpg in mixed commuting. have not done a full tank on the highway but guessing i may even get up above 42mpg

thanks again for chiming in !
DAM
DAM650
Basic User

Post by DAM650 »

BadToTheBown wrote:I have a final drive off of 2005 R1150R with 20K on it. Non-ABS, I'm not going to use.
PM sent :!:
DAM650
Basic User

Post by DAM650 »

sykospain wrote:Here's the relevant video for you :-
Again it's from James at SuperBikeSurgery in Glos., UK. The full story - and i mean FULL...one hour and twelve minutes :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVK_lpFoFok

he was my one of my online mentors for this job,

and i just deleted my abs, and added ss brake lines.

i did not have to buy any parts for the ABS delete, other that the lines and fresh fluid.

drilled off the circuit board, sealed with black silicone and wrapped in ducktape, plugged back in and zip tied firmly into the slot where that metal lump used to sit.

all brake lights working. just removed the ABS relay, and got into the dash to remove the other blinking bulb.