IABS Removal

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

fastfil2004
Basic User

IABS Removal

Post by fastfil2004 »

Thanks to the information and support from this forum I have removed the servo brakes from my Rockster E 80..Everything works as it should and the local mechanic made up a short bypass loop using the old fittings and a 6" piece of copper brakeline. If anyone needs a perfectly good servo please pm me. I am in Ontario, Canada.

Other projects complete are new rubber, Avon Trailriders for the dirt and gravel roads and some handguards with led strips which i spliced into the tachometer light.

Also trying to install some aftermarket clutch and brake levers but cannot get the perch assembly out of the housing, any knowledge would be welcome.

Cheers

Phil in Wiarton
peels
Basic User

Re: IABS Removal

Post by peels »

cool. i still dont miss mine.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I kinda miss the whine..........
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

towerworker wrote:I kinda miss the whine..........
put some antifreeze in it. =D>
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Last month, fastfill said:
"cannot get the perch assembly out of the housing".
Sorry, more detail needed please ! Maybe a foto of the "perch". But not with the budgie sitting on it....
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
fastfil2004
Basic User

Post by fastfil2004 »

I was having a problem removing the stock levers from their perches. I did eventually figure it out and now have two very fancy front levers, they fold and look like the expensive cnc ones.

Follow up on the iabs removal. Brakes are excellent now, more feel and feedback and all other systems are working as planned.

Cheers

Phil
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Good news, Phil. Glad you were able to source custom levers.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

fastfil2004 wrote:...Follow up on the iabs removal. Brakes are excellent now, more feel and feedback and all other systems are working as planned.
Cool, so how did you solve the speedometer signal + brake switch problem? There are a few alternatives.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
fastfil2004
Basic User

Post by fastfil2004 »

The speed signal is generated by by the abs ring on the rear wheel, I left this in place although I did remove the ring on the front end. I just used washers to retain the spacing for this.

I removed the brain module from the IABS unit and reused this after fabbing up a simple aluminum cover to seal it.

The process was much easier than i anticipated , the only extra part required was the U bend brakeline to bridge the gao at the junction. This cost $ 9.00 at a local garage to get it made up.

Cheers

Phil
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

fastfil2004 wrote:The speed signal is generated by by the abs ring on the rear wheel, I left this in place although I did remove the ring on the front end. I just used washers to retain the spacing for this.

I removed the brain module from the IABS unit and reused this after fabbing up a simple aluminum cover to seal it.
Cool, wondered which speedometer + brake switch option you chose since you said you had the iABS unit for sale.

Actually, the specific wheel used by iABS microprocessor to generate speedometer signal is not documented. But your experience proves that rear sensor + tone ring works; I believe others have retained the front sensor/ring to use the iABS "brains" separated from the servo hydraulics module.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)