R1150R Passenger Footrests

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

todehnal
Basic User

R1150R Passenger Footrests

Post by todehnal »

Man I love this bike!! I just need to get the passenger footrests lowered to make it a bit more comfortable for my wife. Even though I ride it more often solo, she does come along occasionally. I've been ignoring her complaints about the high pegs, but when I took my adult daughter along on a short run, she said the same thing. I've searched the archives, and the web for a fix and have come up dry. I can find lowering kits for 1200s, and GS models, but nothing for my R1150R. I am even willing to lower, or remove the muffler if I need to, but I've got to relieve the leg strain on my passengers. Any help greatly appreciated.........Tom
2004 R1150R
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Re: R1150R Passenger Footrests

Post by EasyBee »

I bought these http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/ergo-f ... 001-1.html en bought these for myself http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/rider- ... 001-1.html
But man, you guys are expensive in the USA http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorc ... 60135.html

In Europe those footpegs are $ 190.
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
todehnal
Basic User

Post by todehnal »

Hey there EasyBee, Thanks for taking the time and effort to post pics and numbers for the foot peg lowering kits. Now I have some info to follow up with. You are right about USA pricing, compared to your side of the pond. I have not tried placing an order, but I may be able to order from Winderlich, but my guess is that they may not accept orders from the USA unless you are a dealer. It still may be worth a try. Do you find that the small drop of just 2 1/2 inches to provide much improvement in comfort? Thanks again for your help.............Tom
2004 R1150R
EasyBee
Basic User

Post by EasyBee »

We are happy, it sounds like a small step for man, but ... :D
No really, we are both happy with it.
It may not seem like a lot, but it's not just down, but also forward and the combination takes a lot of discomfort away.
Downside, when you buy the rider footpegset is this : It's more difficult to get to and use the centerstand, at least with size 12 motorcycleboots.
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

EasyBee wrote:Downside, when you buy the rider footpegset is this : It's more difficult to get to and use the centerstand, at least with size 12 motorcycleboots.
Can you provide the wordy details of the difficulties?

I remember my wife complaining that the (R1150R) rear footpegs forced her to sit on her tailbone, limiting the seat time to 55 minutes max [NOT good!]. Those add-on cast Aluminum extensions seem to be well made and "stock looking" to the untrained eye. I am impressed. The low production run high costs are in line with the high retail cost.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
EasyBee
Basic User

Post by EasyBee »

This only applies if you buy the lowering kit for the rider, not the passenger!
The lowered footpegs are accompanied by adapters for the gearlever and the breakpedal. This is to make the gearlever and breakpedal a bit longer. You really need them. When installing the kit, you also have to adjust the gearlever and the breakpedal. Read the installation manual a the bottom in the link.
Because when you install the lowering kit for the rider footpegs, both your feet move a bit forward (3/16"), down (1-3/8") but also outwards (1/2").
So the gearlever and the breakpedal stick out a bit more as do the lowered footpegs.
What happens next is : I can't get the tip of my size 12 motorcycle boot on the centerstand, because the space between the footpeg and the gearlever and the centerstand has become too small. The picture bottom right corner of the installation manual shows it best, I think.
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/instru ... 162500.pdf

Guys with smaller feet will probably not have this problem.
todehnal
Basic User

Post by todehnal »

I am only planning to lower the passenger footpegs, not the rider pegs. Do you see a problem with that? I get along with the leg position as a rider, but my passengers complain about their leg strain due to the high pegs. I am hopeful that the new location for the passenger pegs will not cause any interference with the original rider peg location. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated. I am still trying to order them. I sent an email off to Wunderlich America over the weekend, and am hopeful of getting a response soon..............Tom
2004 R1150R
EasyBee
Basic User

Post by EasyBee »

Passenger footpegs are not a problem.