Tire Time

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bogdan
Basic User

Tire Time

Post by Bogdan »

Yes it's hot in D.C. Here in Colorado it's tire time. I'm raising the tire topic for, I'm sure, the umpteenth time on this forum - however, on this bike, 2004 R1150R, it's new to me. I've done some research. A lot sure has changed since my last stint in the Beemer world. Then...my airhead and I were happy when our Metzler Marathons gave us 8k miles on the rear. Now, I'm told, I can do a lot better with more stick as well. I've got some sort of Michelins on the bike now - can't find which specific model. No complaints....like how they handle and I've put 8k miles on them; no idea what the PO logged before that. The new Cycle Gear store in town is pushing Continental Motions and Pirelli St/Gt; there's the new Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 111. Digging into back posts on various forums, find many favoring Michelin Pilots - maybe that's what I have now. I'm interested in long life. ( tires and me ) These days, I try to limit my aggressive ridding and usually don't succumb to temptation. Any advice appreciated.
peels
Basic User

Re: Tire Time

Post by peels »

same boat here. I saw the first inkling of belts poking through this weekend. Need tires. I want more. if I pay double over what I pay for the conti-motions, I want double the mileage. but it doesnt seem to work that way.

prob end up with them again
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

I had the Michelin Pilot Road 3 and I liked them a lot for good performance in dry and in the wet and good mileage.
I now have the Bridgestone Battlax T30 EVO and I like them even better (they warm up quickly) in the wet and about the same in dry weather conditions. Can't say enough about mileage, yet. Mileage is for a good part something in the hands of the rider, your riding style. Agressive or sweet on the throttle and breaks.
Metzler Marathon ME888 is still a performer in miles for your buck. But the Bridgestone Battlax T30 EVO is good for our bikes in performance and mileage. https://www.revzilla.com/best-motorcycle-tires-2017
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

Wasn't much interest in this thread - understandable. I had to come to a decision. Based on research and good sale price, I ordered a set of Pirelli Angel GTs from Cycle Gear- $105 front,$186 rear, our the door. Oh yeah.....brake pads from Beemer Bone Yard while the rear wheel is off.
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

I currently have Metzlers, zero visible decrease in the >2k miles I've owned the bike.
I'll never buy Michelins after my 996 hydroplaned - a drop of water renders them useless
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

welp....Just setup the appointment for my good old Contimotion. 150 mounted/balanced.

Id REALLY like to try a different tire, but...

A: NOBODY else nearby has my size.
B: BMW shop 1 hr away has a few to try but the prices are just cringeworthy. (299 for JUST the rear Pilot 3)
C: Ive ordered them online before, but catch hell from shops for not buying local, and one wont even mount them.
D: oh, the harley shop has one(forgot the brand) but wont do it because its a BMW wtf.

I just need to buy my own tire machine. The cheapskatedness is strong with me. If its gonna cost double, it better last double! So much attention is paid to cornering and handling...and the relative safety it provides(Which I call BS on because not many of us ever get close to the limits where youd see the benefits) but little discussion about tread life, which to me, means, better grip, for longer. LOL

track guys of course, this doesn't count.

I go through this on our cars too. Have a friend with a newer Camaro ZL-1 went and bought 470$ rear tires... I was like... your jsut gonna do burnouts on those, youll NEVER see the benefit of that rubber unless you go to the track. and theyll go bald sooner.
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

I've used the Continental motions and they are a decent tire but not a true dual compound so you don't get incredible miles out of them. Miles per cost, they are good. I'm used Metzelers, Dunlops, Avon and Michelin sport touring tires but can't speak to the Bridgestones. They are all good brands and "your mileage may vary". On the "cheap" I would get the Conti Motions. Reliability (something you can count on), the Metzeler Z6 (what I currently have) but I think they are discontinuing them as they are REALLY cheap right now. I think the "Z8" is going to be their flagship sport touring tire. Expecting a lot of riding in the rain and want assurance? Get the Milchelin Pilot Road 3 or 4, but pricey.

As far as buying a tire machine, cheap, get the Harbor Freight one (you can usually find them on sale for an even better deal). The "No Mar" tire changers are really nice, but cost money. I think they are worth it if you plan to change a lot of tires. The Harbor Freight gets the job done, but may require a little more "work". Here's a pictorial for changing a tire on the GS, but the process is the same on the "R":
http://jimvonbaden.com/Tire_Change.html

Good luck on whatever you decide!
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

Regardless of the put down of Michelins further up, their Pilot Road 3 and now 4 have given me good service, wet or dry. I've ridden in rain so hard, cars were pulling over! :P

Mileage, I'm no indicator for any brand. In 14 years on the R, never got more than 7 or 8k out of a rear or 9k out of a front. Mountain roads around here with a hard aggregate in the asphalt mix mane an enthusiastic wrist is hell on tire life. Even for the cage!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

From my bikes 15 years experience, 5000 mile per tyre is the max. Metzeler Z6 and Z8 recently.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I've had Michelin tires on the bike since it was new from the dealer .

I've got a set of PR 4's on there now and they will need replacement before the end of the year .

I reside in a desert, so I don't get a lot of experience with wet conditions, but the times I have encountered a heavy afternoon down pour during our ' monsoon ' season, I have felt confident riding and no issues with the brakes as well, with EBC HH pads .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

Re-hashing another tire post is not annoying. It's informative, because the market is always changing and for some riders their tires last a long time, as in years. The 2 factors that can really decrease tire life (omitting the obvious "burn-outs") are many full throttle take-offs and sustained/frequent super slab cruising. I avoid all of those.

My performance preferences have shifted positions as I get much older -and- the decreasing number of times and places that cornering prowess is needed. I still like planted, secure cornering in my very near legal speed rides and the good thing is that now many of those performance tires DO have longer tread life. One tire (long ago) that I really regretted owning was the decades old Marathon ME-88 Metzler. It cornered really scary and to make matters worse, it was specifically designed to last a record amount of miles. I have no experience with the latest generation mega-miler Metzler Marathon ME888, but my guess it is not meant for a sport touring bike riding thru the Tail-of-the-Dragon!!

OK, How about we have more tire life input on the latest generation of tires like the Angel GT and PR-3,4 and your others. Plenty of new tires brag about wet and cornering traction but use dubious terms like longer lasting or longer tire life. Which tires, and the way you ride, give 8 to 10+ thousand miles of life and still are able to 'corner fast' with confidence? As of now, I'm leaning toward my first experiences with a set of Angel GTs or PR4s. What say you?

Last edited by CycleRob on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

The RP4's that I have on now are just passing 13,000 miles, so probably in the 16-17,000 mile range when I get them changed .

I'm just a few months from turning 61, so, my riding style is sedate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Urban expressway commute to work and the occasional long cruise, no 'interesting' twisty roads within a few hours ride from home .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

nevermind my post about the Contis! dropped the rim off yesterday, got a call today its on backorder! cant get it for over a week. Didnt offer a replacement. I cannot be bikeless for a week in June. NOPE.

found another shop. active in the ADV bike community. getting the Shinko 009's Monday! and CHEAP. 125 mounted! think I made a new friend. Its an hour away, but Im ok with that, just have think further ahead than "oh, cords are shining through better get a tire" LOL

Look forward to trying them out!
R4R&R wrote:I've used the Continental motions and they are a decent tire but not a true dual compound so you don't get incredible miles out of them. Miles per cost, they are good. I'm used Metzelers, Dunlops, Avon and Michelin sport touring tires but can't speak to the Bridgestones. They are all good brands and "your mileage may vary". On the "cheap" I would get the Conti Motions. Reliability (something you can count on), the Metzeler Z6 (what I currently have) but I think they are discontinuing them as they are REALLY cheap right now. I think the "Z8" is going to be their flagship sport touring tire. Expecting a lot of riding in the rain and want assurance? Get the Milchelin Pilot Road 3 or 4, but pricey.

As far as buying a tire machine, cheap, get the Harbor Freight one (you can usually find them on sale for an even better deal). The "No Mar" tire changers are really nice, but cost money. I think they are worth it if you plan to change a lot of tires. The Harbor Freight gets the job done, but may require a little more "work". Here's a pictorial for changing a tire on the GS, but the process is the same on the "R":

thanks, good info.

It had new metzelers when I bought it, but I wasn't impressed with tread life vs cost. And my experience with Michelins(pilots) on my FZ-1 was unsatisfactory as well. Not that theyre bad, but quality AND treadlife vs cost is my M.O. here. IF there was a tire that would make 15,000 miles, Id gladly pay 300 for it. Michelin commander II's Iv'e seen in action on overweight Harleys can get close, but not available in our size. Id be willing to bet they dont handle sporty riding all too well either. but....

EDIT: I called the Harley shop today in a fervor-told them my dilemma...and they offered me a Dunlop (couldnt tell me the model) for 245. nah. lol
dandeldesierto
Basic User

Post by dandeldesierto »

Like many of you guys, I've been riding since BMW's tires came with tubes. I was a puro cheapskate for a long long time; but now safety and "sureness of foot" are more important. I went to the Michelin Pilot Roads and really like them. They feel good on the road, do well under all conditions, and I can get 15K or more (miles) out of a rear tire. I know that the rest of the tire industry has kind of been chasing Michelin the last few years; in one of the mags there was a Dunlop sponsored bar chart comparing their new model to Michelin Pilot Roads and claiming to be better. I'm sure there are a number of good tires out there, but the Michelins get my vote.
I'll be interested to hear how the rider who purchased the Shinkos does with them; I tried them and liked their performance, but they had extremely short lifespan.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

i looked up the 009's before I agreed to them.. says they were made with long tread life in mind. i know they make the 005 and 007 which are softer compounds. so IM imagining these wont corner QUITE as well. so well see.

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/009-raven

I also met an RT rider who got 12k out of his. which is good for that heavy monster. AT 125$ if I get 8k of them ill be happy.

so.... I'm gambling I guess. but youll never convince me that high cost = quality.

Ill certainly make an honest "from a cheapskates point of view" review of them after I ride on them. :)
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

My local BMW/Triumph dealer was able to order me a Metzeler Z6 last week. $79. I picked it up Saturday and mounted/balanced it today. I love the feeling of a fresh front tire...like power steering!

So far my mileage *I* got on my tires:
Front tire changes
model miles
D208 12925
Z6 11101
Z6 10787
AV45 8619
Pirelli Strada 7677
Pirelli Strada 5037
Dunlop Roadsmart 6796
Z6 10778
Dunlop Roadsmart 9356
Metzeler Z6 interact 9182
Pilot Road 2 10857
Pilot Road 3 9943
Pilot Road 3 9890
Continental Motion 7823
Continental Motion (current) 7143
Continental Motion (current) 7998
Metzeler Z6 10490
Metzeler Z6 (current) 0

Rear tire changes
model miles
Dunlop D208 (flat) 846
Dunlop D220 7385
Metz Z4 9920
Metz Z6 (flat) 7699
Metz Z6 9602
Avon AV46 7981
Pirelli Strada 6195
Pirelli Strada 6332
Dunlop Roadsmart 10259
Dunlop Roadsmart 10095
Dunlop Roadsmart 9239
Metzeler Z6 Interact 6761
Pilot Road 2 8728
Pilot Road 3 10631
Pilot Road 3 8867
Continental Motion 5927
Continental Motion 5631
Continental Motion 7171
Continental Motion 5872
Metzeler Z6 9129
Metzeler Z6 (current) 2133
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

I put about 50 miles on the shinko 009's. so far so good. I like the tread pattern. riding-wise, They DO have a more gradual (round) crown to them. so the turn is slower and steady, and doesn't snap back up as quick. so hard cornering....though Some of that may be the normal "i ran the old one down to the wires" feeling though lol. Not a problem, easily adjusted for. Took it to a parking lot did some low speed high angle maneuvers... just fine.

lets see how long they last.
eburr
Basic User

Post by eburr »

I have used Shinkos on several bikes targeted for spruce and resale, but haven't personally put a lot of distance riding on them. That said, I recommended a budget conscious buddy of mine this week to try either a set of their 005 Advance or 009 Raven tires as the price was rocking good (half as much as other brands), his riding style is conservative and the on-line consumer reviews I have read were very good. I am personally riding Conti Road Attacks on my 02 R1150r and have had great experience with most Michelins, but am honestly questioning if they are worth the extra money. I look forward to seeing how the Shinko's do for my buddy.

Ride on!
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

peels wrote:nevermind my post about the Contis! dropped the rim off yesterday, got a call today its on backorder! cant get it for over a week. Didnt offer a replacement. I cannot be bikeless for a week in June. NOPE.

found another shop. active in the ADV bike community. getting the Shinko 009's Monday! and CHEAP. 125 mounted! think I made a new friend. Its an hour away, but Im ok with that, just have think further ahead than "oh, cords are shining through better get a tire" LOL

Look forward to trying them out!
R4R&R wrote:I've used the Continental motions and they are a decent tire but not a true dual compound so you don't get incredible miles out of them. Miles per cost, they are good. I'm used Metzelers, Dunlops, Avon and Michelin sport touring tires but can't speak to the Bridgestones. They are all good brands and "your mileage may vary". On the "cheap" I would get the Conti Motions. Reliability (something you can count on), the Metzeler Z6 (what I currently have) but I think they are discontinuing them as they are REALLY cheap right now. I think the "Z8" is going to be their flagship sport touring tire. Expecting a lot of riding in the rain and want assurance? Get the Milchelin Pilot Road 3 or 4, but pricey.

thanks, good info.

It had new metzelers when I bought it, but I wasn't impressed with tread life vs cost. And my experience with Michelins(pilots) on my FZ-1 was unsatisfactory as well. Not that theyre bad, but quality AND treadlife vs cost is my M.O. here. IF there was a tire that would make 15,000 miles, Id gladly pay 300 for it. Michelin commander II's Iv'e seen in action on overweight Harleys can get close, but not available in our size. Id be willing to bet they dont handle sporty riding all too well either. but....

EDIT: I called the Harley shop today in a fervor-told them my dilemma...and they offered me a Dunlop (couldnt tell me the model) for 245. nah. lol

+1 on the Shinko's. I'm on my 3rd set and I'm impressed. I get 6-8K on the rear and 10+ on the front. $100 front and I think $65 on the front delivered to my door from Amazon (purchased last year). $15 mounting cost locally. I'm an old fart (62) so no longer dragging parts in curves. Hurts too much when I drag the wrong part. But anyway I like the Shinko.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
eburr
Basic User

Post by eburr »

Bike bandit in the US is about 160 a set,