Newbie ?'s

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Newbie ?'s

Post by captaincable »

Hi , just registered and am on a fact/ opinion mission. My neighbor has a 2002 r1150r which seems to be a nice ride , he tells me this is the best he has ever owned, He has owned a lot of bikes ( ex-m.c. cop )and has rode all kinds . I also have other friends that are in to the GS's and they say they are the best, couple of rt's thrown in there also same opinions, the one common thread is the Boxer engines. I am 5'7" 28' inseam, I ride a 2001 F650gs. Would like to have more power and smoother ride.Commute about 25 miles a day would like to do some x-country touring also.
Btw the r1150r just feels good sitting on it. Thanks in advance for any advice, plan on buying probably over the winter unless I run across the "deal" of the century, am not afraid of a older bike if it is in good shape, as I understand these machines will go the distance with good maintenace. Mike

What are the perks for a membership and the cost if some one has the time.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Re: Newbie ?'s

Post by Buckster »

Membership is getting great info on these bikes and keeping the site going!At your size,( I'm about the same size), the GS is just too much for me. The RT is a great bike and if you don't mind wind or prefer a naked bike, the R is the way to go. I have seen several folks buy the R and try numerous ways to keep the wind off, buffeting from several different screens, and finally sell it to get an RT anyway. Ride the R around and hit the highway for a little while and then go ride an RT from a dealership and see which one YOU like.
Buckster '03R
Ol' Jeffers
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Ol' Jeffers »

If you like your knees in the breeze the 'R' is the way to go. I put an MRA screen on mine to off set the buffeting
I get which makes my neck ache but that is it...I like naked bikes! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
OJ........everybody's pal!!
captaincable
Basic User

Post by captaincable »

Thanks guy's for the input , talked to a parts guy at Chattanooga BMW a few minutes ago, he pretty much offered the same advice , said he rode a r850r for awhile and loved it , he is 5'9' and rides a GSPD Classic airhead now and loves it. I was wondering about you always hear BMW are rock solid on the hi-way , does this hold true for the R1150R's as well ? Hope you don't mind me pestering ya'll with ?'s I just want to do my homework on these bikes and it's fun learning.
And another thing I have noticed is how fond people are about their bikes and the willingness to share info.
If anyone wants to ride in the N.E. Georgia mtns, I ride quite a bit of slab and know the area pretty well. Pm a message will be riding this weekend in between the showers if I am lucky. I am about 20-25 minutes east of Helen just south of Tallulah Falls.
Ride Safe. Mike
redial
Basic User

Post by redial »

As far as highway goes the rr is the better between the rr and gs imho! but if wind bothers you maybe check the rt

Personally wind doesn't bother me and the rr is awesome
captaincable
Basic User

Post by captaincable »

Is there any year models that are more reliable than others or more desirable for any reasons ? have looked a lot at rt,s also but keep coming back to the rr's because it will mostly be used for commuting and local riding w/ occasional long trip, might try to meet some folks if there are any group rides in my general area. I always see a lot of bikes running north on US 441 towards Franklin N.C./ Cherokee , Blueridge Parkway must be popular area to ride! Rode between Helen Ga. and Hiawassee Ga. yesterday a bunch of it was on forest service roads fairly well maintained but was glad to get back on the slab. Ride safe. Mike
DMM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 725

Post by DMM »

Some riders/owners prefer the double-spark over the single-spark engines of the 1150s. I don't know what year that change occurred (2002 or 2003, I think). It's easy to determine what a bike is (i.e., single or double) by looking at the valve covers.

However, I'd suggest finding a bike that's been well cared for. That's the biggest concern that I'd have. A nicely farkled, but poorly-maintained/abused late model bike will not be better than an older model that's been well cared for (obviously). This is even more important if you aren't able or aren't planning to do most of the maintenance yourself.

RT vs R? I've never ridden an RT (I've only owned naked road bikes and dual sports/GS). My understanding is that the fairings add a lot of weight, which affects handling for city/town riding. Some have claimed they get hot (sitting behind the fairing) in summer. But if you plan a lot of highway riding and touring and want weather protection, then the RT may be the way to go. However, it seems like you've already decided an R is the way to go for your riding. I'm biased, but I'd agree.

I've ridden the R long distance and never minded the naked bike's limited weather protection. I simply dress as appropriate for the conditions (e.g., heated gear in winter). The Rs are quite versatile and handle beautifully. The powerful alternator lends itself to adding gear (like GPS units) or charging items while riding.

If you are looking for an R, find one that's been well-cared for and that you see yourself enjoying.

Cheers!
Member #725
captaincable
Basic User

Post by captaincable »

Thanks again folks, have just about made up my mind about the "r" bike , put my f650gs up for sale today. I agree about finding a well maintained bike, plan on doing the maintenance myself and or most of the wrenching. Will become member after purchase of bike, am a member of the f650 club and it has been fun being a part of it. Keep em between the ditches, Mike
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

captaincable - where are you located? From your posts, it would seem you are in my area. Check out the Hungry Mother thread in Group rides. If you have a bike when that happens, its a good event in your area. I ride in Western NC and also hit North Georgia sometimes.

The Roadster is a grand all around bike, capable of fun, hooligan riding in the twists and loading up for a trip. I prefer the very small screen with my helmet in clean air than either a midsize screen with excess wind noise or a barn door for calm air but that's just me. ;) YMMV

And if you join up, finish filling out the profile so we can tell where you are! Let me know if you are in the area.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
DMM
Lifer

Post by DMM »

Ah, changing from the thumper to the boxer. I owned the 650 Dakar years ago. Great bike; lots of fun. However, space became an issue (couldn't keep two bikes) and the 1150 just offered a better ride for around town, countryside twisties, and even an occasional basic fire trail. Plus, they're great for if you need to ride 2 up. As wncbmw wrote, they are great all-arounders. They truly handle beautifully. If you like the R, from what you've seen, then I suspect that you'll be very happy with it.

Cheers.
Member #725
captaincable
Basic User

Post by captaincable »

Hi again , I live about 5 min south of Tallulah Falls and about 15min north of Clarkesville Ga. I keep a camper in Hiawassee so I am up there quite a bit . My wife likes to ride occasionally as well so a little more power and real estate( seat) would be nice.
Have been doing a little more research and was wondering if the final drive is a common failure part, seems to be very $ to repair. Or am I getting the bad info off the www ? Would hope this is not common, have many friends w/ beemers and have not heard of any going bad.
Does anyone live close to my area? Maybe we could go for a ride ya'll sound like a fun group, will be in Hiawassee next weekend. Hoping to sell f650gs soon and get serious about a "R" bike. Mike
DMM
Lifer

Post by DMM »

Final drive... the dreaded topic.

I've heard different things from different people. Yes, if they fail, it is relatively expensive to replace or repair. Good maintenance and checking on the fd can prevent a major failure and major expense.

That said, I'm not sure if the rate of failure for the 1150s is higher than should be statistically "normal" for any final drive (after all, any product will have a failure rate). Go to a site for Ducatis or Triumphs or [insert brand here] and you are bound to find threads about failures of one sort or another. A BMW mechanic I know recently told me about the damage done on a bike with belt-drive failure. When all was done, that repair cost more than what it would on an R. Yet, any reports are anecdotal, even those from a mechanic.

As for occurrences or reports, do a search on this site and you can see what others here have written.

This is a big reason I mention finding a bike that's been taken care of. Obviously, a bike that's been ridden hard is more likely to have an abused final drive than would a bike that's been cared for and well maintained. Another good reason to bring any bikes of interest in to a mechanic for a review. A good mechanic may be able to examine the final drive without having to open it up.

Happy hunting.
Member #725
MIXR
Basic User

Post by MIXR »

Don't base your purchase on a possible final drive failure. Most are ok, particularly in solo mode. My old R is at 160,000 kms now, and has never had final drive issues. My GSA had some play when I got it at 40,000 kms. It was ok to 60,000 kms but failed within 3,000 kms of fitting a sidecar. I picked up a used unit (as a temporary measure) that had 100,000 kms on it from an old RT. It's still fitted and going strong after another 11,500 kms pushing the sidecar. All comes down to the factory shimming of the bearings. Too tight or too loose with the pre-load and the unit MIGHT fail. The risk is higher if you load the bike up, always carry a pillion and gear, tow a trailer, or fit a sidecar. Rebuild, assuming you don't damage the gears, is AU$400 here. That's the big bearing, taper bearing, new seals, shimming and labour. You can save about 20 to 25% if you do the work yourself, but the labour component isn't that great and I didn't have the right gear.

There are issues with some of these bikes. Many have clutch or clutch slave problems, but most are good. Engines and gearboxes are 'agricultural', but solid. Any bike you buy carries the risk of something failing. You just factor that into the price you are prepared to pay and look for a bargain. If nothing fails, you win. If something big fails, you lose, but still have a great bike and end up with a lot more knowledge about how it all works. And don't forget that some of the 'big' fail points on the R1150XX are BMW design flaws and may have nothing to do with whether the previous owner maintained the machine or not. My R was serviced 'by the book' and still blew a clutch slave. It also stripped teeth off the flywheel. Nothing to do with being incorrectly maintained. Just some weak BMW engineering design areas.

I'd add another R to my stable any time. Even high mileage doesn't scare me with these bikes like it would on some Jap stuff. Hope you pick a good one and get lots of enjoyment from it.
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
captaincable
Basic User

Post by captaincable »

Well no bites yet on the 650 , but having fun checking out all the R bikes on line am trying to find one w/all the goodies, hopefully the planets will align and and I sell my bike and find another within days . Enjoying this site as well, reading up on these machines.
Attended the BMW rally in Hiawassee this year, probably met/saw a few of you. Sure were a lot of bikes but at the time I did not know much about the "R" bike's wish I had paid more attention. Well time to hit the rack,will check in tomorrow.Mike
snave
Basic User

Post by snave »

Hi, Mike. I have an 02 1150 r that I keep in Lavonia, ga. I typically ride either up towards clarkesville, 197, clayton area or on the SC side up 76 or 28. Looking forward to two longer rides in August; I plan to meet up with some folks near Franklin for the Hungry mother ride from this site and the Ga BMW club has a ride to a campground near cruso, NC another week. lets meet up sometime

-Paul
captaincable
Basic User

Post by captaincable »

Hi Paul, I can go for a ride sometime if the schedule works out, PM me a couple days in advance with your plans maybe we can hook up.
Just noticed an ad on Craigs list in Atlanta a 2007 Gs1200, 1000miles or so for $4K, Gal (military) e-mails me back w/a Photobucket site but not an address so I can see the bike. am smelling a rat here will toy with it and see what happens. There is a deadline on the sale due to being shipped out to the Middle East. The bike should be worth almost 3x's the asking price.It might be the deal of the century but I doubt it. Mike
captaincable
Basic User

Post by captaincable »

Just received e-mail the gal is on base taking special training and can,t leave, her presence won't be necessary. Bike is in Topeka Kansas , sealed and ready to ship she has prearranged deal w/ Amazon it will arrive within 3 days then I will have 5 days to check it out b-4 paying if I don't like it its free shipping to send it back Amazon will take care of the the payment.
I just sent the payment I can't believe what a deal I am going to get! NOT!!
I was wondering who I could contact that would track down this thief.
captaincable
Basic User

Post by captaincable »

Well I sold the F650GS this weekend, and have been looking at bikes on line until my eyes have crossed, rode a 1990 Pacific Coast in rough shape, just wondered, I will say it had the most comfortable seat of any bike so far. I got to ride a 2007 F800st it was nice smooth good acceleration did not ride enough to try out the handling very well but it did feel good. Did not like the panniers at all . The bike was a beautiful blue, some thing about the engine noise bothered me, Cyclerob was there and felt the bike ran ok which I am sure it did, but in my opinion his bike seems to run so much smoother and just sounded better all around , nice tone. And I can't thank Rob enough for looking at this bike with me. I am considering a Honda NT700V. But the truth is I am in love with the R1150R even though my practical side says Honda it just does not turn my head as does the BMW. (Maybe Rob will help me keep her going :) )
So the search is on. Mike
jbw
Basic User

Post by jbw »

captaincable wrote:Just received e-mail the gal is on base taking special training and can,t leave, her presence won't be necessary. Bike is in Topeka Kansas , sealed and ready to ship she has prearranged deal w/ Amazon it will arrive within 3 days then I will have 5 days to check it out b-4 paying if I don't like it its free shipping to send it back Amazon will take care of the the payment.
I just sent the payment I can't believe what a deal I am going to get! NOT!!
I was wondering who I could contact that would track down this thief.
If this correspondence is through Craigslist (which I assume it is, given that I received the same story!) go into the email itself and click on the "report scam" icon or whatever it is, it will be in the highlighted yellow portion at the very top of the email. Also, check out this page under "Who should I notify about fraud or scam attempts?" :

http://spokane.craigslist.org/about/scams
obc
Lifer
Donating Member #: 4697

Post by obc »

Have 107,000 km on 2002 1150R and have enjoyed every minute of it. Regular maintenance and wiring replacement under warranty (gas tank leak). No final drive issues other than gasket replacement (touch wood) and take yearly 3 week trip of 8,000 plus km. First and probably last bike in my garage.
Just enjoying the ride!