Starting problem :-(

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

brico
Lifer

Starting problem :-(

Post by brico »

My bike would not start on Sunday morning (emitting some strange chirping noise but no clicks trying to excite the starter motor) and I assumed it is the battery and left it to charge. When it was fully charged, I tried starting it again and same thing happened but this time I noticed the noises comimng from the fuse/relay box. I opened it up and every time i turn the ignition key same chirping noise comes on. On closer look/feel I noted that the chirping noise/slight vibration is coiming from the starter relay and two smaller relays next to the starter relay. When I press the start button the chirpong noise just increases a bit and goes on until I turn off the ignition key. The indicator lights on the pannel slowly dim out until the extinguish completely.

I have opened and cleaned the starter as described in the instructions posted by one of the members on this topic and found it in good condition. So it is not the starter.

What could it be? Voltage measured at charging is 13.6 and 12.9V after one or two attempts to start with that chirpoing noise.

I tried connecting the car battery and same issue persists so I am convinced it is not the battery. Is it starter relay or something else?

Any leads as to where to look at / look for to identify the problem?
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Re: Starting problem :-(

Post by sstein »

Sounds like a short circuit? Any smoke? Burning odor? Any blown fuses?

Just an uneducated guess.

Good luck.
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
Rowery
Basic User

Post by Rowery »

I'm having this same exact problem. Any new information on this would be helpful.
Years ago I clipped all the tight zip ties so that shouldnt be a culprit .

Thanks
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Rowery wrote:I'm having this same exact problem. Any new information on this would be helpful.
Years ago I clipped all the tight zip ties so that shouldnt be a culprit .

Thanks
The headstock cable issue can lie dormant for years. I clipped all the cable ties on my 3rd bike at 1200 miles (when I bought it in 2006). The cables waited until the bike had done about 85000 miles before breaking!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

brico wrote: What could it be? Voltage measured at charging is 13.6 and 12.9V after one or two attempts to start with that chirpoing noise.

I tried connecting the car battery and same issue persists so I am convinced it is not the battery. Is it starter relay or something else?
How did you connect the car battery? Did starter spin up with car battery connection, or more of the same relay "chirping" noises?
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)