What wiring will I find under my tank?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

busithoth
Lifer

What wiring will I find under my tank?

Post by busithoth »

Hello again,

I bought my 2002 R1150R last summer, beautiful stock showroom condition, the only 'option' was the external accessory plug, installed by dealer.
In the last 8000 miles I've kept an eye out for stuff (got bags) and now have my very first GPS, a BMW Navigator III.

The original owner was a K-series rider. It is the whole kit, (cradle tailored to his bike, car mount, AC/car adapter power, freaking remote...)
The power coming off the advanced motorcycle mount (cradle) has the model 'K25' on it, and looks exactly like what's pictured at the bottom of the page:
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4648

Since it is the only thing that the dealership did for the original owner, is it safe to assume the Dealership either just plugged the lead from the leg socket into the existing female lead? Or if they connected directly, the female lead would still be there (they wouldn't remove it, I assume?)
I just fear taking off the tank (my first time doing so) will lead to nothing because the dealership soldered/spliced the wires. Has anyone noticed (and retained) how the accessory slot is wired on theirs?

I'd trade fuse slots in a heartbeat with the as-yet unused accessory socket. If it comes to more than that, I would go the centech route (which would only make me ancy for PIAAs...):
http://www.centechwire.com/catalog/panels/ap1.shtml

I'd rather wire this thing, both for the cradle buttons and because I'm in NYC, and I'd prefer to spend less time futzing with cables at curbside. (the adapter power would work, though)

thanks in advance for any advice,
B
The Meromorph
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: What wiring will I find under my tank?

Post by The Meromorph »

I believe that connector is for a Canbus system. Since you mentioned fuses, I assume your 2002 is not a Canbus bike. So I doubt you will find the other connector anywhere on your bike.
Time to get more creative (fixing a different connector on your cable, and wiring a connector to a switched power source, and ground.

You could wire up a cigar lighter type power socket and use the car charger connection, or get a powerlet to cigar lighter converter as a temporay quick fix, until you work out what to do to hardwire the cradle...
2001 BMW R1100R, Parabellum WIndshield.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

As mentioned, the auxiliary power connector shown in the K-bike link is a CANBUS item, and not applicable to the old fashioned wiring found in your R1150R.

Have no fear of fuel tank removal. Once you break that first fuel quick-connect, er, I mean once you pull the tank off the first time, you'll be addicted to the mind-soothing process.

My plan of attack always includes a hardware guide that gives me a place to stash the hardware. Using a Sharpie, some cardboard, and the business end of a Torx 25 screwdriver to punch holes, I make something that looks like this:

The image shows my latest "tank removal guide" created from a shoe box - especially handy for stashing the required Torx screwdriver, Torx rachet driver (for tank mount bolt), Vaseline for fuel line quick-connect reassembly, and shop rags for a bit of fuel drip when the QCs are first disconnected.

Note the check boxes for the stuff I'd sometimes forget.

I've pulled the tanks off our old Roadster and Rockster maybe 50 times, and actually really enjoy the process. I've got a little modification in mind to make tank removal even faster... will post the modification if/when it's done.
busithoth
Lifer

Post by busithoth »

I see. So the cord going into the cradle is never going to fit. I've Seen pictures of the cradle with the pins exposed (meaning it comes off...) Maybe I can still get a (pre-canbus) power cable that would fit, since they sold them back in the old days of 2002. Found a cradle for $410:
http://www.bmw-riders-gear.com/BMWRA_pr ... plo=&bphi=

That's what I paid for the unit, so I'm hoping to find a cheaper solution, ideally without splicing wires and straddling the CANBUS / grandpappy wiring divide.

Same part number in this catalog runs $81, but I'm going to assume this doesn't include the power cable:
http://www.touringsportbmw.com/bmwcatal ... ceList.pdf

I don't really know what I'm looking at with your cardboard checklist/placeholder. It looks like something I'd make, and useful if I knew what I was doing, but I'll just take it as encouragement (and inspiration if/when I get that far). I've read many times that once you've removed the gas tank, it isn't so bad to repeat it.
And since a lot of things require taking it off, so it's maybe worth getting over the hump...

OK, off to do some more reading on the minutiae of this situation.
Thanks for the info guys!

(I now doubt that the 36" acc slot adapter is going to be long enough. Doesn't seem like it, using a string of the same length to test...)
Last edited by busithoth on Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

I must agree with busihoth on that box! It had me thrown for a while there until I read the text. Now it makes more sense, and upon studying the patterns. But why "Die Hard"? Is it beacuse the tank covers the battery....And some batteries are "Die Hards"?
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

The cardboard hardware "guide" is just a place to stick the bolts as they're pulled during tank removal process. I punch a hole in the cardboard and stick the bolt in, providing simple means of keeping it all straight. The little "x" areas in the picture are the holes for each side's bolts.

Using a shoe box gives you a place to stash the required tools, etc. I bought an extra Torx 25 screwdriver, rachet, Torx 45 driver, and extension that i bring with on trips in case tank needs removal, and these normally occupy the shoebox at home. Rags and the QC assembly Vaseline live there too. I bring a tiny tube of Vaseline lip care stuff for travel.

None of this is necessary, of course, but a little planning makes the (initially) intimidating task of tank removal much smoother.
busithoth
Lifer

Post by busithoth »

Thanks sweatmark, I see what your guide is now.
Definitely the result of better planning than I usually perform.
I would've tried something similar, but with paper and lots of photos. Corrugated cardboard seems a much smarter choice.

I got off the phone with a dealer who said I shouldn't have any problem connecting the harness (which only confused me further). He said he did the opposite: took a NAV II off an 1150 and put it on a new 1200, the only thing that needed changing was the mount.

I tried like the dickens to get a definitive price on a new cradle, or even just the cable, but either kept stumping the parts guys at dealerships, or it just isn't available piecemeal.

So I figure I'll just take this upcoming trip without the GPS, then come back, take off the tank, and see what I see then. If I need to take splicing measures or the like, so be it. I can order the Centech and get all that done in one comprehensive pass. (besides, I know the way to the cape well enough...)

I expect this to take a goodly while, and so will take photos and let you all share in the travesty of first time tank removal.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Have been meaning to shoot a quick video of R1150R tank removal process. Post it on YouTube, use a good sound track, talk my wife into lead role instead of ugly old me.

Let me know if this would be helpful, or just a stupid idea.
busithoth
Lifer

Post by busithoth »

sweatmark wrote:Have been meaning to shoot a quick video of R1150R tank removal process. Post it on YouTube, use a good sound track, talk my wife into lead role instead of ugly old me.

Let me know if this would be helpful, or just a stupid idea.
Not at all a stupid idea. I got home from work today to find those JVB DVDs in my mailbox (made by jim bade). I got them to have something to look at while reading up.
I cut straight to the tank removal chapter, and it's pretty short (40 seconds, maybe). I chalk this up to a 'once you know how, it ain't no thang' mentality.I cannot be the only noob who has interest in doing this but is nervous about screwing it all up mightily. The video I got has a LOT more time spent on replacing the fuel pump than removing the tank. It becomes second nature, or you forget how someone else may have questions about what they see. Also, he's working on a GS, not an 1150r.

I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but he spends a lot more time on reattaching the tank, so there's that.

I also got the accessory installation DVD, just for even more video of work on my bike.

Short answer: Yes please with the youtubery!
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Done. Tank removal vid in You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXbNYhDNpkg

Quality suffered during the upload and processing. PM me if anything's unlcear.
The Meromorph
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by The Meromorph »

Excellent, well done. =D>
But you're right. Your wife is prettier than you. And I've never even seen your wife... :lol:
2001 BMW R1100R, Parabellum WIndshield.
busithoth
Lifer

Post by busithoth »

A thousand times thanks!
I will post progress reports when I get back from the Cape and try this for myself.

thanks again, this is more illustrative than the DVDs I bought.