Tinted helmet visor, legal?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ALFREDO
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Tinted helmet visor, legal?

Post by ALFREDO »

Are legal tinted helmet visors in the US? If so, anyone could advice me where can I get a tinted visor for my System V BMW helmet?

Cheers,
Alfredo
Alfredo Mulet
R1150R - 2004
R1100R - 1998
Kawa Zepyr 1100 - 1994
Airman
Basic User

Re: Tinted helmet visor, legal?

Post by Airman »

ALFREDO wrote:Are legal tinted helmet visors in the US? If so, anyone could advice me where can I get a tinted visor for my System V BMW helmet?

Cheers,
Alfredo
I seem to recall reading that tinted visors were illegal in the UK, but as far as I know there are no regulations on them in the US. A simple search for one came up a bit dry. It would appear that they were made for the System V, but they're not that easy to find as it seems there's a System 6 out, which may make System V parts less common. I did see a BMW dealer in Capetown SA that at least seemed to hint that they had them. Maybe one of the other guys has a source.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
allanj255
Basic User

Post by allanj255 »

Airman wrote:
ALFREDO wrote:Are legal tinted helmet visors in the US? If so, anyone could advice me where can I get a tinted visor for my System V BMW helmet?

Cheers,
Alfredo
I seem to recall reading that tinted visors were illegal in the UK, but as far as I know there are no regulations on them in the US. A simple search for one came up a bit dry. It would appear that they were made for the System V, but they're not that easy to find as it seems there's a System 6 out, which may make System V parts less common. I did see a BMW dealer in Capetown SA that at least seemed to hint that they had them. Maybe one of the other guys has a source.
Tinted visors are not illegal in UK, you just have to carry a spare clear visor to switch over when dark. using a tinted visor aat night is illegal in UK
Allan
2003 R1150R Twin Spark, (Black - the fastest colour)
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Tinted visors are legal here in Virginia but as mentioned above you have to have a clear shield for nite use. Can't speak for the rest of the US but I would expect it to be the same.

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

BMW did not sell System 5 helmets in the US. We have too many lawyers. Tinted visors are legal in the US.

Check Wolf BMW in Ontario Canada. My dad and I rode there so he could get a couple of new visors.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
ALFREDO
Basic User

Post by ALFREDO »

Biff's R wrote:BMW did not sell System 5 helmets in the US. We have too many lawyers. Tinted visors are legal in the US.

Check Wolf BMW in Ontario Canada. My dad and I rode there so he could get a couple of new visors.
Thanks to all the answers. Biff's, that explains why I haven't found the the visors in the US :) I'll check with the store in Ontario,

Cheers and VenVsss,

Alfredo
Alfredo Mulet
R1150R - 2004
R1100R - 1998
Kawa Zepyr 1100 - 1994