Buying an r1150r

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

'sauga
Basic User

Buying an r1150r

Post by 'sauga »

I will be picking up a non-abs 2004 r1150r this weekend. I'm paying $6600, it has about 7500 miles on it and seems very well taken care of - might need a rear tire soon though. I have been researching on cycletrader and craigslist and it seemed to be a good price based on other asking prices - even though I've already agreed to buy it I guess I'm just interested in getting some of your feedback as you all know alot more about bmw bikes than I (first time buyer) do. Is this a reasonable deal?

Also - I've been riding a 1978 honda cb400t for the last 9 years - haven't test ridden the bmw yet and I'm wondering if I will be in over my head with the increase in power and weight. :-k

Thanks for your ideas/comments...
TicTac50
Lifer
Donating Member #: 586

Re: Buying an r1150r

Post by TicTac50 »

Welcome aboard and congratulations on the very wise purchase. =D> =D> =D>
I think you made a very good deal on the bike with only 7500 miles.
Just be careful going from CB400T to R1150R. [-o< [-o< [-o<
BMW is much heavier bike for sure, but after couple of short rides you will get comfy with it.
Good luck.

P.S. Start saving money for the accessories and premium riding gear. :) :) :)
Lifetime Member #586
2002 R1150R
2004 R1150 ABS
2003 F650 CSA
PRESSING "1" FOR ENGLISH!
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

The Honda will seem like a cheap toy soon after you shift your new bike into 6th gear and roll on the throttle. EVERYTHING will be better and more powerful on the 1150R. The bike's weight will be no problem for you because you already have survived 9 years riding experience in making the right moves in all kinds of stability situations.

I predict you are absolutely going to love your new bike, especially after it gets new tires.

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
snowprick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 3953

Post by snowprick »

Welcome aboard 'sauga, looks like a good deal. You will always get a good respomse from this forum.

The RR, as you will soon find, is definately several upgrades on your current steed. Just beware of the slow speed stall on the horizontally opposed engine. While you are trying your best to navigate in a parking lot, if you are not paying attention you may stall that big engine. The result is usually a drop to the left side and its quick. Not sure of your height but long legs help in this situation.

You will get used to it in a hurry. Once you are moving forward at anything over 5 MPH you are in heaven.

CAUTION. Power corrupts, absolutely. After the RR, beware of lessor bikes unless you can handle disappointments. :D :D :D
Rod
2001 R1150R Black of course (sold)
2009 F800GS Black & yellow of course
Apple Macintosh
drsales1
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by drsales1 »

Good luck! Congrats etc.
I purchased my 2002 this year and have been absolutely pleased with it's performance. It's been over 20 yrs since I last rode a bike. So in those terms you should be fine after a few miles. It took me about 700 before I felt I knew the bike and how it handles.

I agree, watch the low revs. I feather the clutch when doing slow manuvering, for me it seems to help. I could not have found a better bike and you will say the same in a few weeks or so.

Ride safe.
beemerboy
Basic User

Post by beemerboy »

I also agree, though im new to the whole motorcycle game, I would have to say this is one the best bikes I have ever been on. Im a younger dude and a sucker for harleys but i love this thing.

I do have one question for all you members and bros.
Whats this six gear jibberish all about :-k
Mine has 5, im confused #-o
johnnyjs1
Lifer
Donating Member #: 607

Post by johnnyjs1 »

You got six too. 1 down, 5 up. :mrgreen:
See, I told you guys, half the time I dont know what I'm talking about.
09 Someting??
Lifer 607
beemerboy
Basic User

Post by beemerboy »

Ya your right im dumb it is 6 :oops:
Samiam
Basic User

Post by Samiam »

snowprick wrote: Just beware of the slow speed stall on the horizontally opposed engine. While you are trying your best to navigate in a parking lot, if you are not paying attention you may stall that big engine. The result is usually a drop to the left side and its quick. :D :D :D
STAY AWAY FROM ME!!! You must've been in the Farmer's Market this afrnoon when I nearly did just that!!! Do not use the front brake in slow 180 degree turns! (Goes for any other bike too!) I nearly dropped my baby in front of eight "Bubbas" just a few hours ago by doing a 180 and using the front brakes. How stupid!!!

Realy,the Roadster is a real "Lady" in almost any situation. But, if you're a dumb-axx, she will remind you of your skills in a heartbeat, just like an other Sport Bike.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Never use front brake at low parking lot speeds when turning! It can flop you right over. Get in the habit of the rear brake in these situations.
Buckster '03R
'sauga
Basic User

Post by 'sauga »

Hey thanks everyone! I'm impressed with how friendly and helpful everyone around here is.

Thanks for the tips about slow maneuvering - I remember almost dropping the cb400t doing just that and I guess with the beemer I wouldn't be able to recover and pull it up because of its size. Thanks Buckster - I will remember to use the rear brake only at low speeds from now on.

I am very excited to pick it up this weekend... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: present owner had to clear the title so hopefully he gets the new title this week and we can go ahead with the transfer...
KHaynes
Lifer

Post by KHaynes »

Welcome. You'll love the R1150R and you got it at a what appears to be a good price!
Keith Haynes
R1150RT
Wheelcaps
bmwr1150rbmw
Basic User

Post by bmwr1150rbmw »

Nice choice. The bike is so versatile that you will grow as a rider as a result of buying it. I'm still learning about all the things it can do as well as the places it can bring me. After riding it for a few weeks you'll wonder why it was not double the price you paid. The worst thing about buying a RR is that you'll not be justified in buying a different bike for at least ten years. I used to own a CB 400. The color was was sh#@t brown. Funny bike. Enjoy and frequent this board. You'll be inspired!
busithoth
Lifer

Post by busithoth »

Congrats!

I picked up a completely stock 2002 RR a month ago, and so far am extremely happy with it.
Also Non-ABS I paid $6000, it had 4400 miles on it.

Since then I picked up a used Sargent seat, and find it rides even better. (I'm 6'2")
Now I just need to figure out baggage.

I was riding a 1983 CB1000 custom, so this bike's over a hundred pounds lighter.
It handles differently, too. (wonderful, I'd describe it as)
My 'test ride' was to the end of the previous owner's street, but I knew pretty quickly this was going to be a fun machine for a long time.

Here's to another 10 years with this fine machine.
I expect to keep mine for that long.

enjoy!
mkerr
Basic User

Post by mkerr »

'sauga,
Welcome aboard. I would agree with everyone here and say that its on hell of a bike. I started off on sport bikes (first was an R6) and have had pllenty of experiece on that type. Took some time off (6 yrs) b/c I broke my colar bone (I had to choose between the front of a truck bumber or the ground.....and I chose the ground) but just bought my 2003 recently and it is truly a dream toride. Thats a good price your getting as well. Nice find.

MK
RedRider

Post by RedRider »

VG choice.Twin plugs,SS brake lines,Overdrive (6th) comfortable seating position and great mid-range torque make the bike a delight in country curves.Add cases,tankbag & GPS and you are off to the opposite coast. It really is a well balanced motorcycle.
Enjoy :lol: