2002 R1150R battery location...crappy first post

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Rama
Basic User

2002 R1150R battery location...crappy first post

Post by Rama »

This is a lousy first post and I promise a proper intro later, but I just need to know..will I have to remove the tank to access the battery?

I just bought the bike a couple days ago and stupidly left the ignition on overnight and found a discharged battery this am. I looked under the seat and thought I saw a battery cover and had to leave for a weeklong trip..

After reading a few posts I now wonder if I saw something else and the battery is indeed under the tank.

It's buggin me.

Thanks in advance. I LOVE this, my first BMW..I am a longtime Ducati and Japanese bike rider and never realized what I've been missing.
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Re: 2002 R1150R battery location...crappy first post

Post by boxermania »

Ooops....bad first experience but don't let it get you down. In answer to your question, YES, the battery is under that tank, indeed a lousy place to locate it.......for something that needs service....but I digress.

There is a solution.....I hope you have a small battery charger, if that is the case, remove the starter motor cover, it's plastic, silver, on the left side of the engine and held by one screw. The starter motor will satr you in the face, connect the + of the battery charger to the heavy (thick) wire that connects to the starter, this is the hot (+) wire that goes to the battery positive terminal and hook the ground of the carger to one of the starter motor holdown bolts or anything solidly attached to the engine and proceed to ahrge your battery.

I would do a slow 18 - 20 hour charge @ 2amps, so you get a nice and full chatge on the battery.

Caution: Insure that the plus wire (red) of the battery charger has a good grip on the heavy battery cabl and is not contacting any metal on the bike as the results will not be pleasant.

If the above causes you concern....it is best to remove the trank, or if you are not inclined to do so as it is an experience in itself, specially for a newbie....just take it to the dealer.

Errrrr.....I believe I forgot to welcome you aboard.....welcome, post some pics of your ride and good luck....... [-o< [-o<
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

The battery is under the tank.

If you have the accessory socket(looks like a car cigarette lighter by the left footpeg) you can hook a trickle charger up to the bike through it.

BTW, Welcome aboard.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Biff's R
Double Lifer

Post by Biff's R »

Al, you are making it more difficult than it is .

What are you doing up at this time of night?
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
digga
Basic User
Donating Member #: 600

Post by digga »

Welcome to the board

Guys.... does he need to use a specific type of charger??

His ride MAY have a fancy battery on it :idea:
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Take the tank off. Its a good learning experience. Check the battery out good and see if it has leaked any water/acid out on the metal battery holder underneath it. See if its a lead acid battery that actually uses water or if its AGM or GEL battery which need no water (low maintenance). If you see that it is a lead acid battery needing water, then check the water levels but only fill the cells up to the instructed levels. (see the marks on the side of the battery? not too full) My original lead acid battery was over 4 years old when I replaced it with a glass mat Odyssee. It still worked fine too. I just didn't like taking the tank off so much to check it out.

When you decide to take that tank off, as you should, come back here and start a new thread on tank removal. You will probably need it. 8-[
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

Great tank removal instructions are here:

http://home.mindspring.com/~jabrooks/te ... emoval.htm

Let me second the advice given already.

The fastest way is to charge your battery with a charger connected to the accessory socket on the starter cover as stated above, IF you have one, AND IF your charger has the correct "powerlet" plug, AND IF your charger is the correct type for your battery.

Removing the tank benefits you 2 ways:
1] Knowledge of how to do it - fiddly the first time or two, then it's cake, 13 screws, 2 quick disconnects, 2 hoses, 1 electrical connector and ... :lol:
2] You can see exactly what type of battery you have and maybe how old it is- an original battery on a 2002 bike would be near the end of its expected life.

Welcome aboard.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer

Post by boxermania »

Biff's R

You are absolutely correct as it didn't cross my mind.....as you pointed out, it was way past my bedtime.....sorry..... [-o<
Member #312
79 CBX
Biff's R
Double Lifer

Post by Biff's R »

Tip #1 of tank removal. Have as little gas in the tank as possible. It is easier to lift. If you are full and have a battery tender, charge the bike and then try to run the tank down. Then take it off. I used a flashlight on my old R, and I was able to see the fluid level in the battery, without lifting the tank.

No problem Al, I figured that you were tired. I was still jacked up from my 10:30 pm hockey game. :mrgreen:
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

If you have a 2002 with the original battery, I suggest replacing it (with a maintenance free battery), anyway, before you go on your trip. To remove the tank, the instructions in the little service booklet from BMW are fairly straightforward. Just take your time and follow the steps. Here is a suggestion -- get some plastic drinking cups and a Sharpie marker. Write numbers on the cups. The screws you remove that are marked as a 2 in the booklet go in cup 2. The screws that are marked as a 6 in the book go in cup 6, and so on. When you remove the breather tubes, mark with masking tape which one goes where, or leave one tank tube with the plastic connector and one without, so you do not mix them up. Be most careful with the fuel line quick disconnects. If you have the original plastic ones, they can easily break. When you reassemble them later, fully depress the button on the QD before joining them.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
Rama
Basic User

Post by Rama »

Wow..what a great bunch of folks. I was already away when I made the post..just bugging me about what I had to do when I get back.

I do have the accessory plug and have a battery tender.

Thanks for the help.

I can't wait to get back and ride!

I'm a musician and hotel owner in the Smoky Mountains and ride a lot...but not by you guy's standards...maybe 15-18,000 a year. I just feel totally at home on this bike.

Mark
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer

Post by boxermania »

Rama......musician and hotel owner.....WOW, maybe we should consider having a Bash at your place if you promise to play one night for the attendees. Where in the Smokies? as I meander in the neighborhood whenever I have a chance and there are a lot of good guys from this board within striking distance..... =D> =D>
Member #312
79 CBX
Rama
Basic User

Post by Rama »

In Cherokee, NC...close to Blue Ridge Pky and not too far from Deal's Gap

Pageant Inn

1-800-255-5371

Open for the season April - November

Will always cut a deal for ya'll.

I'm always behind the desk playing the guitar when I'm not riding.

Mark
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

I think we have our next Bash location. :mrgreen:
Biff's R
Double Lifer

Post by Biff's R »

Boxer wrote:I think we have our next Bash location. :mrgreen:
+1
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer

Post by boxermania »

Rama

I think a bit of history might be forthcoming. The very first Bash, that brought together a very nice group of members of this forum, took place in 2004 in late April or early May.....my memory fails me.....at Tapoco Lodge on 129, with the spillover staying in local campgrounds or at Robinsville.

There were about 24 attendees and we rode all over the area, as you probably know we have kept doing the Bash at least onece a year and on a couple of years we even had two, a couple of years ago there was the West Bash at Utah and last year we had the South Central Bash in Ozark, Arkansas.

IMO, there is history in these events, let me see if I can dig some pics of the first one.....I see a wave forming for the 6th Bash. =D> =D>
Member #312
79 CBX
Max Continuous
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Max Continuous »

Rama

I am heading from Toronto to New Orleans at the end of May. We are planning the Tail on the way down and the Blue Ridge on the way back. Even if we don't end up overnighting near Cherokee, I'll certainly stop in and say hello!

Max
allanj255
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by allanj255 »

By the way the "thing" you saw under the seat is the fusebox cover.
Welcome to the site.
Allan
2003 R1150R Twin Spark, (Black - the fastest colour)
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I have been riding in that area before it would be sweeeeeet!!
Buckster '03R
stilldking
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 594

Post by stilldking »

I should be heading home to Va in the next month or so. Might have to stop in and say, "Hi."

Man, retirement is great!
8-)

JC
John C
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.