Anyone still here?

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Anyone still here?

Post by riceburner »

Just checking in to see if there's anyone here still running a K1200/1300?

If so - can anyone confirm what the OE battery was? I think BMW fit Yuasa batteries - but not certain.

Mine has finally died (I've had the bike about 4 years now) so I'm happy to replace like with like and have found a good source at a good price, but just wanted to confirm the OE.

:)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Anyone still here?

Post by sweatmark »

Replaced K1300 battery. I think it was 14Ah, with terminal polarity opposite that of the R1150R, definitely different form factor. Can confirm when next in garage.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:Replaced K1300 battery. I think it was 14Ah, with terminal polarity opposite that of the R1150R, definitely different form factor. Can confirm when next in garage.
Currently I have a Yuasa YTX14-BS in the bike, which I think is the OE battery (it might be THE original, but I'm pretty sure it's the original fitment).

I'm just pondering whether to get another Yuasa, or a MotoBatt.

I also think I need to find a more modern charger - I've no idea how old my Optimate is or whether or not it's ok with AGM type batteries.

It's all somewhat nebulous though as I'm going to try to sell the big K again soon.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

My K was equipped with Shorai battery installed by original owner. I installed sealed lead acid later, Yuasa or equivalent.

Like you, I'm thinking of selling the mighty K. Excellent road trip bike, but the Rockster can serve that function admirably (though less swiftly), and I'm getting my performance thrills from S1000.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:My K was equipped with Shorai battery installed by original owner. I installed sealed lead acid later, Yuasa or equivalent.

Like you, I'm thinking of selling the mighty K. Excellent road trip bike, but the Rockster can serve that function admirably (though less swiftly), and I'm getting my performance thrills from S1000.

Funnily enough I find that the Rockster 'feels' like it does a cross-country trip (40miles +) faster than the K. Maybe it's because the K needs more 'hauling up' for each tight corner, where the Rockster can maintain a slightly higher average speed over distance? It's weird, and it's probably just me being more engaged on the Rockster. Doesn't help that the K has the saddle from hell and is only comfortable for my shoulders over 80mph. (it's too long).

Annoyingly I discovered yesterday that it doesn't appear to have been serviced since I bought it 3 years ago (which confused the hell out of me - I could have sworn I'd had the thing serviced) so I need to do that before I sell it, along with replacing the battery and the alarm-system batteries. :roll:
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

riceburner wrote:
sweatmark wrote:My K was equipped with Shorai battery installed by original owner. I installed sealed lead acid later, Yuasa or equivalent.

Funnily enough I find that the Rockster 'feels' like it does a cross-country trip (40miles +) faster than the K. Maybe it's because the K needs more 'hauling up' for each tight corner, where the Rockster can maintain a slightly higher average speed over distance? It's weird, and it's probably just me being more engaged on the Rockster. Doesn't help that the K has the saddle from hell and is only comfortable for my shoulders over 80mph. (it's too long).

Annoyingly I discovered yesterday that it doesn't appear to have been serviced since I bought it 3 years ago (which confused the hell out of me - I could have sworn I'd had the thing serviced) so I need to do that before I sell it, along with replacing the battery and the alarm-system batteries. :roll:
interesting review.

the nekkid k1200r is on my list of dream bikes. Ill have to test ride one longer see if i feel similar....
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

peels wrote:
riceburner wrote:

interesting review.

the nekkid k1200r is on my list of dream bikes. Ill have to test ride one longer see if i feel similar....
I'd love to read a review of one from the perspective of another R1150 owner.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Regarding the Mighty K:

It's been a bucket list item since the mid-80s to own and ride a K. A friend from engineering college had an '86 K100RS - he was the cool rich guy with many bikes in the garage, and hard core riding credentials to match. Solo transcontinental rides on airheads, club racing his KZ and RD350, working as MSF trainer. I was a new motorcyclist back then with just a couple years' experience on my tariff beater VFR700, so my buddy's bike advice was golden, and his example noted.

30+ years later - after keeping track of steady K bike technical progression - I finally bought myself a K. My current riding buddy retired and applied peer pressure to consider an early investment in retirement fun. New K models were all gone, so I bought a used K1300S from a longtime SportTouring site contributor.

The 300 mile ride home from purchase was our first date, like meeting that mail order bride, and invoking both eager anticipation and twinge of fear due to the unknown. And the unknown my ability to handle known quantities of slant K muscle: 175HP, 500LB dry, recognized as torquey, a bike both disdained by many BMW purists and truly loved by dedicated few. My bike has ABS, but that's it for techno-safety tools. Original owner installed Wilbers, HID, custom windshield, and aftermarket mounts/cases. The bike had fairly fresh Pilot Road 4s. Oh, and he told me that they (he and wife on matching K1300S bikes) had checked speedometer with a 180MPH (GPS verified) run side-by-side somewhere in remote Utah.

The summer prior, I'd talked with a K1200S owner at our club rally. He definitely fit the K12/13 sub-sub-culture within BMW circles: advocacy bordering on mania, "best bike ever" statements, and sensibilities clearly effected by wind blast at hyper K speeds.

So, what's it like to ride the Mighty K?

0-5000 RPM: velvety smooth, with not-so-subtle hints of potential lunacy at higher revs; V-8 torque moving you effortlessly through traffic in any gear.
5000-7000 RPM: the Decision Zone, when both the angel and devil upon your shoulders are whispering advice and encouragement, the first reminding you to maintain control, and the second daring you lose it deliciously.
7000-11000 RPM: all hell breaks loose.
Ergonomics? Committed. Not track bike committed, but your torso clearly points towards the horizon that's a wrist twist away.
Handling? Weird. Competent but weird. More turning with foot weighting than counter-steering. But when you get in the K groove, the big girl feels much more nimble than her long wheelbase might suggest. I've ridden the K on muddy dirt roads, gravel, the asphalt lunar landscape that is NFD25 on east flanks of Mt St Helens - it's not exactly 1st choice for such conditions, but it works and is quite stable if you're VERY careful with throttle.
Ownership? lots of tupperware, expensive valve adjustment/check, known list of annoyances and technical problems, a few that remain unexplained and unsolved by the K community.
Subjective: my K is C. carcharias gray. I see her as a German dominatrix with no sense of humor, and extraordinary pleasures that require humility, bravery, penchant for pain. Oh, and her nose is a bit big, but don't you dare say anything or "whack!"

Choose: R1150R or Mighty K? If it fits you and your psyche, the K delivers big blissful miles, in fast and furious fashion. Not a city bike. Not a slow traffic bike. Not easy DIY. For do-everything motorcycling, you can't beat the R1150R. I've had 3. James has had more. Mike in SoCal has 1 with 300k miles on the odometer now?

If I move to single bike, it's the Rockster. My current version is approaching handling perfection. And my heart's with the Oilheads.
If I can afford 2, then Rockster and sports bike.
The Mighty K is the over the top 3rd.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Nice write up Mark! :D
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

298,646 8/30/20, "takes a lick'n and keeps on tick'n" (old Timex commercial). Rebuilt the shocks 7 times so far. When it starts using oil and the compression drops off I have the parts to do a top overhaul.

Fits me perfect and is a marvelous traveler and not bad for a track day or a dirt road up in the Nations (AZ), rain or shine.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

The big "Bagger" race associated w/moto America looks like is still on for Oct. I know the guys from Feuling HD performance parts that are getting a Milwaukee 8 ready to rumble. Open to 130 cubic inch max to any brand of bagger.

I think they have it(the M8) up to 150 hp and are modifying it w/17" wheels, chain drive and moving the pegs back and up for better lean angle. They have rented the willow springs track for testing and I may be chasing the test rider on my '97 VFR to observe and offer comment. I have experience on that track.
Not sure how many machines but rumor is 8 or so will race .
It will be during the Moto America superbike race held at Laguna Seca in October.

Bet it will be standing room only at the cork screw!!!
They want me to be in the pit crew but I have another comment that has priority, but never know.

Should be a hoot.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER