K1200R or S

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

wilrobasy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

K1200R or S

Post by wilrobasy »

Ok decision time, I like to look of the K1200R however it is becoming difficult to find one spec'd up with ABS and ESA with low KM's and at a good price second at a dealer in brisbane.
have found a nice K1200S which would you go for?
If you can still hear the misses complain then you are not going fast enough.
Dr Grabow
Basic User

Re: K1200R or S

Post by Dr Grabow »

I had a K1200S for a couple years; just sold it a month ago. It's a very impressive bit of engineering. At highway speeds, the airflow is very smooth and if you like the forward sport-bike type seating position it is very comfortable. The power is of course amazing and with the long wheelbase it seems to have a good compromise between quick handling and stability.

I had spousal pressure to sell it after getting a rather impressive speeding ticket on it, however... :D
eisen
Double Lifer

Post by eisen »

I had an 06' K1200R with ESA.
Was a beast of a bike - very, very fast and easy to reach license losing speeds.

On hindsight, i should have gone with the K1200S, though.
At ridiculous speeds, a naked bike makes no sense at all.
If you do short, explosive rides with lots of long sweepers & straight roads, then yes, the K will answer your prayers.
However, if you ride for longer distances & want a supersport tourer, go with the S.

Power delivery is smoother on the S and is designed to reach and stay at autobahn speeds all day long.
The K's power delivery was alot more frantic - alot of fun, but frantic...

Once i bought the R12R, i realised that (for me) real-world driving involves a powerful engine with loads of torque from very low RPM. So in that respect, i don't miss the K12R.
BUT for raw, orgasmic acceleration that will scare the hell out of you - go for the K.

I guess the bottom line is - whatever you buy, you'll end up with one heck of a grin on your face :biggrin:
Last edited by eisen on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am easily satisfied with the very best...."
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

If you are buying a used one, makes sure you ride it slowly first. My 06 KR suffered badly from really rough slow speed fuel injection. Riding 2 up was impossible, we would keep bumping helmets. I had more SW updates than I could count, and the computer only holds a certain amount then you pay for another computer. I wouldn't buy another Kbike until I was sure they cured the crappy FI issue. They go fast great, but I commuted on mine and it was miserable in traffic and any slow speed manuevering. If you follow any of the K-bike forums, you will read about more issues than any other BMW MC. I traded my KR in for a RT after test riding a 07 KGT that had the same FI issues my 06 KR had. My dealings w/ BMW over my KR almost turned me off of BMWs all together... Look for the latest SW and a replacement airbox.

http://i-bmw.com/

http://www.k-bikes.com

Bill
'07 R1200RT
eisen
Double Lifer

Post by eisen »

Bill, i totally agree with your comments.
The KR was almost impossible for low speed, two-up or calm riding.
The FI also put me off. BUT, you can learn to ride around it (took me about 7000km to accept the pitiful FI)

These bikes, IMHO are not designed for commuting.
The KR is designed for short, aggressive, adrenalin fuelled rides.
Comfort, nor two-up riding are on the agenda.

Here is the link for the K-bike forum:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

The problem for BMW and their customers, is that the same issues are in their GT and that bike is all about 2-up riding and commuting. And for that amount of money, it's a shame. Yea, I learned to use the clutch alot in traffic and parking lots, no big deal. But such a bummer on what should be a top notch "perfect" bike from BMW...

All that said, when they figure all the FI issues out, I would like to pick up a cheap 1-2 year old, used yellow/silver KS, maybe when the warranty is done on my RT?

Bill
'07 R1200RT
eisen
Double Lifer

Post by eisen »

Here she is.

Oh, i do miss here when i look at some of the pictures :smt022

Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

Hey wilrobasy, I also live in Brisbane, and I am extremely happy with my KR. I couldn't help but notice that all your replies had a slightly negative taste, but they were also all from ex K owners.

As a current satisfied K rider, I'd like to try and rectify the balance. Sure, they have their quirks, as do most beemers - it's part of what makes them endearing if your glass is half full. I'm no expert, but for me the KR strikes a fantastic balance between performance/quality/looks and the elusive x-factor. I'm guilty of regularly coveting other bikes, but when it comes to the crunch, it would be a step backwards (so far...).

My bike does not have ABS/ESA, which I view as gadgets that add weight and increase the likelihood of future expense.
Motorcycle+passion/ego=fleeting survival
wilrobasy
Basic User

Post by wilrobasy »

Ok I have finally gone and done it.
I picked up a 2005 K1200R with only 8000 km's on the clock.
picked it up on tuesday and had to head interstate for work so I cannot go out for a blast until this weekend.

where is the best place to get a centre stand?

what sort of coolant is in the bike and what level should I fill it to as I cannot find anything in the manual re this?

Also is there a workshop manual out on the web somewhere for these bikes yet?

regards

Robert
If you can still hear the misses complain then you are not going fast enough.
bobw
Basic User

Post by bobw »

Congrats on the KR. I sooooo wanted one and still do. Wish they would consider bringing them into the US again. The S is sexy, but naked is naked. :badgrin:

Safe travels!

Cheers :