Tyres

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Tyres

Post by riceburner »

Looks like the missus K-R is going to need new tyres soon.

Currently on Dunlops of some sort - which she isn't fussy about, but I don't like much, they've worn very oddly and the bike wanders around at anything below 30mph, due to the square edges on the rear and pointy front.

What's everyone using?, Any recommendations? We like good grip and feedback (wet and dry), and longevity. Not interested in Track-type tyres, we usually go for Sport-Tour tyres (eg my favourite, Pirelli Diablo Strada).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Silverr
Basic User

Re: Tyres

Post by Silverr »

My tire of choice is a Metzeler RoadTec Z6. I used Z4's back in the day and found the Z6's to be a nice improvment.
doug.brown
Basic User

Post by doug.brown »

I'm getting these put on tomorrow: http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front ... 21&lang=EN

I do a lot of back windy/hilly roads, and am looking forward to track school, so my BMW store owner recommended them. I'll see how they are soon!
crousos
Lifer

Post by crousos »

Continental Road Attack, I switched to them from Pilot Roads and they definitely grip as good (if not better) but with much better life

Tinos
Last edited by crousos on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

I just put on some Pilot Roads recently, have about three thousand miles on them and the rear is already wearing noticeably. I doubt I'll get another one, I'd like a little better wear than that.
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I have loved my new PR2's..(on my R1150R)...but...after coming back from a big three day ride in the mountains I have developed an odd vibration coming from the rear tire when I lean from side to side..It's sorta like cupping on the rear tire... :-k

I've never had this before and wonder if it has anything to do with the softer side areas wearing more than normal.

DJ
Boxer04
Basic User

Post by Boxer04 »

Hi DJ,

I have a set of Pilot Road 2's on my R1150R and I have the same experience. I have looked at them closely and it seems the side is wearing quicker than the centre. At about half an inch (12mm) from the centre of the front tyre it is clear the section is worn more than the centre. In fact at certain angles (side on) the tyre appears scolloped. The front has 14,000km on and the back about 10,000km (should be the same but got a stone in the rear tyre). The vibration I get is more like a rumble (brrrrr) at low speeds when I lean into a corner and it has had this since about 3000km. I will be going to my tyre fitter this week to show him. I am not the only BMW rider who has had this problem.

I do not notice any vibrations or handling problems at normal touring speeds - only at very low speeds. Tyres seem to be wearing well at this point in the centre at least. I notice I have to run these PR2's at a higher tyre pressure than the PR's.
BoxerFan
'04 R1150R
Member #588
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Yeah that's exactly what I'm getting..and it's good to now that I'm not the only one.

I was stressing that it may be a rear drive problem..It's a shame because they're nice tires.

DJ
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Re: Tyres - Bike Mag Test July 2008

Post by MikeCam »

Bike Mag Sportbike tire test (for liter bikes) July 08

Biased toward performance not mileage.

Rice, I know it's not what you asked for. Just wanted to avoid an additional thread.

5 stars - Pirelli Diablo Rossi

4 stars - Metzeler Sportec M3, Dunlop Qualifier D209, Continental Contisport Attack, Bridgestone BT016

3 stars - Michelin Pilot Power 2CT, Avon Viper Sport

2 stars - Maxxis Supermaxx Sport
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.