Quick Disconnects (again)

This section is a culmination of what the site's users feel are common questions, or topics that seem to repeat a lot. Users are encouraged tp post to this section, but PLEASE DO NOT PUT GENERAL BANTER IN HERE, just factual/informational stuff. Please try and keep this section structured and neat!

Moderator: Moderators

stig
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by stig »

Hey DJ,
is this the sort of thing you were thinking of?
If so , they are available fron engineering suppliers of pneumatics or maybe hydraulics in a range of diameters.
There're called , of all things, "Hose connectors".

DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Perfect...Thanks stig.. :smt023

DJ
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I switched mine out this spring with the Omegas. I figured shelling out 80.00 now would beat sitting on the side of the road somewhere with leaking gas coming out.
Glad to hear about that pc-680 battery, Rob. That is another thing on my list.
Buckster '03R
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

Buckster wrote:I switched mine out this spring with the Omegas. I figured shelling out 80.00 now would beat sitting on the side of the road somewhere with leaking gas coming out.
Glad to hear about that pc-680 battery, Rob. That is another thing on my list.
Mine have just been replaced with Omega's, too. I still say that you have to be prepared to remove your tank, and that is the purpose/convenience of a QD.

Here is one example of why the tank needs to be removed periodically to check wiring underneath.
http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18690
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
MartinW

Post by MartinW »

Finally got around to posting these pics of the original QDs and the OMEGA ones I replaced them with.

I suspect they are all made by the same manufacturer as the internals of the OMEGA ones look remarkably similar and are also made of plastic.

My local BMW dealer told me that the O-rings are 'one-time-only' items and should be replaced every time they are disconnected. Well, he would say that wouldn't he!

Image[/img]
coyofmo
Basic User

Disconnects

Post by coyofmo »

I've been lurking around these boards and reading about the fuel disconnect problems for some time, so when I started smelling fuel yesterday, and then noticed staining this morning on my 04 Rockster I knew right where the problem might be. I pulled off the little black cover and sure enough the lower disconnect was clearly wet on the outside with fuel. So, I reached up and wiggled it...really, I hardly put any pressure on it at all...AND IT BROKE IN TWO !!!!!!! Right where ET has his finger pointed in the previous pictures! I simply cannot understand how something this cheap got on a what is suppossed to be the highest quality motorcycle made. I really hardly touched it!!! I guesss better this happened home on my porch than out on the road.
I called OMEGA and got a part #, FT-MCD10-02-K, chrome plated 1/8 NPT (male). The person noted on another K bike thread was a guy named "Steve". but he was out and a lady named Katie was very helpful, but had not delt with BMW bike owners before. Can anyone say for positive sure that this is the right part?
For I dance,and drink and sing, till some blind hand, shall brush my wing. Wm. Blake
mick Hoff
Lifer
Donating Member #: 458

Post by mick Hoff »

Hi, here are the part numbers picked up from a previous thread...
Fuel line Quick Disconnects:
If you go the Omega route, the parts you need are:
FT-LCD170-05 (2 each)
FT-LCD220-05 (2 each)
also 5/16" fuel injection clamps - 4
hope this helps!!

Were they in stock??
They showed a 2 week back orer 2 days ago
Lifetime member # 458
coyofmo
Basic User

quick connects

Post by coyofmo »

Thanks Mick. I did'nt check availability because I was not 100% sure of the part #. I'm going to call them 1st thing in the morning. I've a 300 mile trip to Nebraska planned for next weekend so I might go with the small parts type or even straight tubing....Anything but the OEM plastic. Coy
For I dance,and drink and sing, till some blind hand, shall brush my wing. Wm. Blake
marecycling
Basic User

Omega's

Post by marecycling »

I just got done replacing the original disconnects on my 2002R with the Omegas while I had tank off for brake bleed. Make sure, as previously mentioned, of the fuel line clamp screws positioning on replaced clamps.I actually trimmed mine down 1/8" to reduce length of exposed screw. In the wrong spot, this screw could easily wear through some critical areas, with vibration. IMHO the Omegas are a worthwhile quality upgrade, not to mention the chrome plating convinced me to leave off that plastic cover,LOL!
The "good things" that come to those who wait, are just the "leftovers" from those who didn't!
geothepencil
Basic User

Re: Omega's

Post by geothepencil »

marecycling wrote:I just got done replacing the original disconnects on my 2002R with the Omegas while I had tank off for brake bleed.
What was your procedure for getting the old disconnects off of the hoses ? Did you crush the plastic or use any special tools ?

geo
02R1150R Black Non ABS and friends
Beemeridian
Lifer
Donating Member #: 477

Post by Beemeridian »

Last edited by Beemeridian on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I used a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel on it and just cut those clamps off without any damage to the actual lines and as far as the o-rings go, I don't know what they are made of but I believe this was brought up in another post and they are OK for use with fuels.
Buckster '03R
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

What about O-Rings? Should fuel tolerant ones be specified?
My understanding is that you should use Buna-N O-rings rather than Viton with oxygenated fuels. The Omega QDs come standard with Buna-N.
I put the Omegas on about 6 months ago and have had no problems removing/replacing the tank off with them. They mate together very smoothly and give off a nicely reassuring "click" when seated. Much more confidence inspiring than the OEMs. My only complaint - and it is a very minor one - is that the release button on the Omegas protrudes somewhat from the body of the QD and so could more easily be accidentally depressed.

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
coyofmo
Basic User

Quick disconnects

Post by coyofmo »

I'm back up and running today!! This was not too hard at all, just a bit Pricy$$$..Good excuse to go out and but more tools though. I called Omega and sure enough they were back ordered out to Aug. 6th, so I went with the small parts. They lady at small parts had obviously delt with bike owners before and trasferred me to a tech rep. who was very careful to explain about the O rings in their product tending to expand in the presence of fuel and be difficult to reconnect. Nice people! I did a next day delivery and they shipped them right to my work. Put them on today and they look great.
I started to buy a tool to remove those OEM hose clamps, then thought "That's costly for a one time thing I'll never use again". I tried squeezing them with vice grips..no luck..considered going to Sears to buy a Dremel, then realized ...hey, I can snip / nip those little buggers right quick with the 24" bolt cutters I use to cut fencing! They didn't have a chance... Teasing the old connectors out of the hose was the hardest part. I twisted them first, then used a #1 screwdriver to push the hose back from the plastic, then a #2, then just grabbed the old connector with a pair of pliers, pulled and twisted like crazy. I bought new hose clamps and made sure to orient the scew ends far away from anything they can rub..that's something I'll keep an eye on in the future. I also used two tyraps, one in a figure eight pattern around the base of both connectors, and the other to the frame and then between the connectors to make sure they were stabalized.
Thanks to everyone in the previous post for your advice. Coy
marecycling
Basic User

OEM Clamp Removal

Post by marecycling »

I know this will draw laughs from the hi-tech crowd, but I was paranoid about breaking one of the plastic fuel lines ,as mentioned earlier by CycleRob. I bought a high quality (not cheap Chinese brand) hacksaw blade, and used it on the raised lip of the OEM clamps, with no saw handle attached, just the blade and a peice of tape where my hand held it. Beauty of this set-up is that it is so flexible, making access to the clamps a breeze. Use the blade with the most teeth you can find and do not force it. Cut through all the clamps like butter. Once clamps were out of the way, sliced hose length-wise where connected to fuel rails or fittings and they slid right off. Just want to mention that my decision to change out to Omega's was only part of reason for replacing lines. I took a good look at the ends(where lines connect to fittings) of my OEM hi-pressure fuel lines, and replaced every one of them. I found the lines all showed evidence of deteriorating and were all cracked at the ends. Just remember that if you attempt this repair/upgrade, patience is a virtue. Slow and steady wins the race.
The "good things" that come to those who wait, are just the "leftovers" from those who didn't!
telliott
Basic User

Re: Quick disconnects

Post by telliott »

[quote="coyofmo"]They lady at small parts had obviously delt with bike owners before and trasferred me to a tech rep. who was very careful to explain about the O rings in their product tending to expand in the presence of fuel and be difficult to reconnect. Nice people!

What did teh rep explain?? Is it a real problem? is there a fix? Or is it just technique?
Terry
'03 - Silver R1150R
Beemeridian
Lifer
Donating Member #: 477

Post by Beemeridian »

Now this will be perceived as a stupid question; I don't understand the concern about the "breaking of plastic fuel lines". The fuel lines that my QDs are inserted in appear to be rubber. What could go wrong?
Thanks.
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

German Engineering took a short vacation when designing the 1150 series fuel line and the supplier of the quick disconnects used a less robust fitting than should have been used.

Leaks, weeps, seeps, and drips do occur. Unfortunately, they all do that. Bears watching. Every time the tank comes off the day of failure gets closer.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
marecycling
Basic User

Post by marecycling »

Beemeridian wrote:Now this will be perceived as a stupid question; I don't understand the concern about the "breaking of plastic fuel lines". The fuel lines that my QDs are inserted in appear to be rubber. What could go wrong?
Thanks.
The reference to plastic fuel lines refers to the jet black and shiney plastic fuel lines that are the last point of connection to the rubber lines, before they enter the mid section of the cycle. Hope that is sort of clear,LOL! :D
coyofmo
Basic User

Quick disconnects

Post by coyofmo »

This is turning into a real saga ....
I posted on 7/28 about using the small parts disconnects and how they looked great and worked....well, I was about 75 miles from home friday on a 3 day trip to Omaha...and my Rockster just quit dead on the road north of Kirksville Mo. It would start and run at idle, then die when I gave it any gas. Had a guy stop who was a "Harley Person" and rider safety instructor....just an alright dude who took time out from his work to stop and help, call a friend who owned a shop, who came and picked the bike and me up. Long story short, we first thought it was the fuel pump cause it "Sounded funny"..to me a least...then he started looking real close at those disconnects....The lower one was for some reason not working..it came apart way too easy and, as we know, was very difficult to get back together..we gave up trying. I had already run a tank and a half of gas through last week with no problems so i have no idea why it chose to fail right then...I just thank the Lord I was not 50 miles from nowhere in Iowa yet. We replaced both disconnects with straight brass fittings from the plumbing section of the local hardware store...$2.75 each. I was back on the road within 2 hours and did another 650 miles without any more issues. He billed me what I consider a very minimal shop and pickup fee.
So what have I learned? I have what I consider the best motorcycle on the road, and sometimes I think that can cloud my vision as I want the best looking and most elegant replacement or aftermarket parts I can get. Those shiny brass disconnects just looked sooo good...i even left the plastic cover off. .. Simple straight tubing would have been (and is now) virtually failure proof, cheap, and easy enough to pull loose the 1 or 2 times a year I might need to raise the tank.
In a way, when the tech rep warned me they could be hard to reconnect when the fuel contacted the O rings, I should have backed off right then and put on straight tubing or waited for the Omega's to come in on back order. I guess I'll just keep living and learning. Coy