Quick Disconnects (again)

This section is a culmination of what the site's users feel are common questions, or topics that seem to repeat a lot. Users are encouraged tp post to this section, but PLEASE DO NOT PUT GENERAL BANTER IN HERE, just factual/informational stuff. Please try and keep this section structured and neat!

Moderator: Moderators

Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Thanks for the follow-up and sorry to hear of the problem.
I feel justified carrying the two straight brass connectors in my tool kit.

Why do you think the bike was starved for fuel? Failed how?

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
telliott
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by telliott »

"Starved How?"

Good question. This is a new problem with the Small Parts ones. I've seen lots of "can't get back together" but what caused the fuel to stop flowing? Was it not all the way plugged in?
Terry
'03 - Silver R1150R
awagnon
Lifer

Post by awagnon »

I feel justified carrying the two straight brass connectors in my tool kit.
Dr. Strangelove,

I picked up some straight brass connectors prior to the ride to Wisconsin. I ended up getting both 1/4 and 5/16 inch because I wasn't sure which to buy. At least they were cheap. Isn't it 5/16 inch?
Al
Ogden, Utah
2002 R1150RT
2004 R1150R (sold) (sigh...)
2004 R 1150GS
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

yes, 5/16"

I scratched the ends of mine some with a dremel just to make a better grab.

You also need a hose pinch, ava at Pep Boys, to clamp the hose while you're attaching the straight connector--small cheap portable.
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Beemeridian
Lifer
Donating Member #: 477

Post by Beemeridian »

Last edited by Beemeridian on Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

Is the hose pinch to prevent the flow of fuel? I thought it would not flow unless the pump was running, am I mistaken there?
You need to pinch the return hose, which is unrestricted and will flow until the fuel in the tank drops to the level of the hose. The pump will block the fuel in the other line, though the fuel between the QD and the pump will run out.

While I appreciate the simplicity of replacing the QDs with a straight pipe, I have to say that the problems cited in this thread all seem to be related to the design of the LittleParts QD. I have not exerienced any problems with the Omegas and the standard Buna-N O-ring.

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
ProductUser
Lifer

Post by ProductUser »

Since I take my tank off at most twice a year, there is no need to gamble with QD's, no matter the manufacturer. Most other tasks (e.g., front shock R&R, running wires for powered tank bag...etc.) can be accomplished by raising the tank without removing the fuel lines.

The last thing I want to happen while on the road is the possibility of having fuel dripping on a hot exhaust, not to mention the discoloration it causes on the tranny and other related bits.

That's my $.02

ProductUser
Beemeridian
Lifer
Donating Member #: 477

Post by Beemeridian »

Last edited by Beemeridian on Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

I replaced my QDs with straight 3/8" copper tubing from Lowes last December. No issues since and it's about as simple of a solution as one can have.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I just found these nifty little gizzo's.. http://ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1071

DJ

JCsman
Lifer

Post by JCsman »

DJ Downunder wrote:
Has anyone using straight copper tubing had an issue with leaks or is anyone worried about it coming apart? The connectors all have "barbed" ends to help hold them in the fuel line.
Good question....I'm looking for some straight pieces of tube to replace the dis-connects..but I'm looking for some tubes with those barbs on each end.

I'm sure they're out there..I have not really started looking yet..I'll let you know if I find any....There's a lot of pressure in those lines.

Some others here have just used straight tubes without any problems...but the barbed ones would give me better peace of mind.

DJ
DJ:
I've planned on the hose-pinchers in my kit and straight copper pipes for a long while. I posted about it probably a year ago - procrastination is my dominant feature.

I never gave a thought to the pipe ends. But....

As an alternate how about a pipe flaring tool. It's kind of a C-clamp looking device that allows you to force a small cone shaped piece into the end of the copper tubing. Makes a small flare in the tube (like a trumpet end, but not nearly so dramatic).
http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk/motorhome/flaring.htm
Then the hose would be clamped and, to come off the hose would have to pull the flared pipe though the clamp. I have one of the pipe flare somewhere in my stacks of tools used once in a blue moon.

Just a thought.
- Bill #438, Lifetime
If I'm going to grow up, I'd better hurry.....oh well.
reidmct
Basic User

Post by reidmct »

boxermania wrote: Most vehicles fuel systems are equipped with Viton 0-rings, Buna N is a second choice on use.......Viton and Oxygenated Fuels are not a good choice.....but I'll talk more about that in another post. 8)
I see that Omega offers their fitting with Viton:

FT-LCD170-05-VITON

But, is Viton not the right choice for gasoline in the USA?
Reid
awagnon
Lifer

Post by awagnon »

I ordered Omegas which were marked "out of stock for one week". However, they sent a notice the next day that they had been shipped to me, complete with tracking number. Also, I ordered them with Viton o-rings.

I had an OEM quick disconnect on my 2004 1150R fail last week on a ride. I'm changing them on both bikes. Why worry about it.

I'm curious. Are the metal Omega quick disconnects compatible with the plastic OEM QD's? The reason I ask, I noted my mechanic has a short piece of hose with a plastic quick disconnect on it. When he has to remove a fuel tank, he connects the short hose to the fuel line and quickly drains the fuel from the tank into a gas can. Good idea if the connectors are compatible.
Al
Ogden, Utah
2002 R1150RT
2004 R1150R (sold) (sigh...)
2004 R 1150GS
RBrider
Basic User

Post by RBrider »

Good post ,jb, thank you for the info and pics.

RB
jb44
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by jb44 »

... a topic that won't die.

My original post was over a year ago.

About the o-rings. I believe I still have the viton ones installed. Over the past year I have removed the tank 3 or 4 times. Each time I inspected the o-rings, and they showed no sign of wear or deterioration. The connectors slid back together with no problems, and no leaks.

jb
Maitre
Basic User

Post by Maitre »

I have just purchased from Omega two sets of connectors as follows:

FT-LCD170-05-VITON
FT-LCD220-05-VITON

Omega advises that they are specially manufactured for use as fuel line connectors. They do come with their own VITON o-rings.

Maitre
ArtieMS
Basic User

Re: Quick Disconnects (again)

Post by ArtieMS »

more miles to go . . . .
See you down the road

2004 R1150R Piedmont Red
Member #509
SecondWind
Lifer

Post by SecondWind »

Heads up on the Omega Chrome Plated Brass Shutoffs. I checked with the Technical folks at Omega and to get the Viton Gas Resistant O-Rings the Part numbers for the 5/16 Straight line Dual Fuel QD's with the Shutoffs for your BMW are as follows:

Quantity Model Number Price Item Total
2 FT-LCD220-05-FKM $16.00 $32.00
2 FT-LCD170-05-FKM $26.00 $52.00

Regards;
Paul

web site http://www.omega.com/index.html
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don’t have it.
RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Post by RadicalR1150R »

Try Jiffy Tite.. No viton o-ring to replace.. contains a stainless ball only..
Here's some info from the web site.. And by the way My "Dealer" broke one of my stock QD's last month when bike was serviced.. Replaced ONE ONLY qd with the metal type.. I had.. & still have my Jiffy Tite's on the bench waiting for install.

Jiffy-tite's revolutionary Quick Connect Fluid Fittings provide unsurpassed performance under extreme conditions. Made of lightweight, 6061-T6 aluminum, brass valves, and stainless steel ball bearings, they are corrosion resistant for extra long life. Jiffy-tite's unique, high-flow valve technology in the plug and socket assembly automatically interrupts the flow of fluid when disconnected to protect against hazardous gas leaks. Tested and proven to have a 100% leak proof seal, even at 200 psi. The Jiffy-tite fittings have no serviceable o-rings to replace.
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

I'm hopeful these work well as I bought a set, soon to be installed.......
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao