Symptoms of need for valve adjustment

(This archived section can be viewed by all, but modified only by Doug and moderators.)
This reference section discusses maintenence and service issues.

Moderator: Moderators

Ar11fifT-AR

Symptoms of need for valve adjustment

Post by Ar11fifT-AR »

I just bought an 02 model last week with 7300 miles. I noticed a distinct clicking sound that seems to increase along with rpms and which does seem to come from the head (although I'm not sure my hearing is so acute as to be able pinpoint it that well). I've read posts about some sort of a "buzz" people hear with their engines. I know that without being able to hear it, this may not be much help, but thought I'd see what the consensus might be.

:?
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

There are many others who frequent this forum who are far more knowledgeable about things mechanical but in my experience, the sound of valves tapping is not a bad thing, nor is it an indication of a pressing need for a valve adjustment. The boxer engine makes a lot of noise and you shouldn't be too alarmed by a gentle valve tap.
I've only got about 7,000 miles on my R and I've adjusted the valves (and throttle bodies) twice. The first was at the 600 mile service and the second was just prior to the 6k service. In the case of the second valve adj, the bike was beggining to run poorly at lower speeds - I would describe it a being balky. Things completely cleared up after the valve adj and I now consider that "balkiness" the first sign of the need for valve adjustment. By the way, the valves were only a little tight at that adjustment, not loose (and tapping) as you describe.
It certainly can't hurt to do a valve adjustment and it is very easy to do yourself, especially with the aid of somthing like the Oilhead Valve Adjustment for Dummies. You can download the OVAD at:
http://www.advrider.com/Wisdom/OVADv2.2.pdf
whaycoc
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

My valve adjustment procedure

Post by whaycoc »

Many have used my procedure - have attached it here.
Bill Haycock - Member #78
Huntsville, AL
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

It certainly can't hurt to do a valve adjustment and it is very easy to do yourself, especially with the aid of somthing like the Oilhead Valve Adjustment for Dummies.
I should have said:
It certainly can't hurt to do a valve adjustment and it is very easy to do yourself, especially with the aid of somthing like the Oilhead Valve Adjustment for Dummies or Bill Haycock excellent instructions.

Post by Guest »

Thanks Bill! :D