Twin max

(This archived section can be viewed by all, but modified only by Doug and moderators.)
This reference section discusses maintenence and service issues.

Moderator: Moderators

possum
Basic User
Donating Member #: 751

Twin max

Post by possum »

Where is the best place to order a twin max online? I dont believe my dealer/dealers would want me to do my own valve adjustments.
Lookin for a place to happen,making stops along the way.
whaycoc
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

TwinMax Purchase

Post by whaycoc »

BMW of Santa Cruz has a special on them now!

http://www.bmwscruz.com/SHOP/BMW/index.html
Bill Haycock - Member #78
Huntsville, AL
saguaro777
Basic User

Post by saguaro777 »

Why Possum have they seen you wrench before? :lol: Any competent shadetree mech can accomplish a valve adjustment. There is a simple procedure on the oilhead maintenance section, pretty foolproof if you follow the directions. A twinmax would only be used for synching your throttlebodys. One of my friends who does a part time cycle maintenance business doesnt use balance tubes, he sets the synch by feel. His bmw's seem to run pretty smooth and strong.
Capt. Blackadder
Basic User

Post by Capt. Blackadder »

saguaro777 wrote:One of my friends who does a part time cycle maintenance business doesn't use balance tubes, he sets the synch by feel...
Interesting stuff... think he'd be willing to do a write-up of how he does it?
Baldur - Black '03 R1150R non-ABS
possum
Basic User

Post by possum »

saguaro777 wrote:Why Possum have they seen you wrench before? :lol: Any competent shadetree mech can accomplish a valve adjustment. There is a simple procedure on the oilhead maintenance section, pretty foolproof if you follow the directions. A twinmax would only be used for synching your throttlebodys. One of my friends who does a part time cycle maintenance business doesnt use balance tubes, he sets the synch by feel. His bmw's seem to run pretty smooth and strong.
When the time comes,it'll be a 1st :wink:
Last edited by possum on Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
whaycoc
Lifer

The Valve check and adjustment procedures I wrote up and use

Post by whaycoc »

I wrote up the valve check procedures a few years ago as a guide to doing my valves - many have used the procedure - i will attach them here - don't hesitate to email me if I can help.

Possum - I edited the valve instructions to make it more friendly to a "first time" user - Made certain areas more detailed and added a few hints. Might want to re download it for the latest version.
Last edited by whaycoc on Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bill Haycock - Member #78
Huntsville, AL
possum
Basic User

Re: The Valve check and adjustment procedures I wrote up and

Post by possum »

whaycoc wrote:I wrote up the valve check procedures a few years ago as a guide to doing my valves - many have used the procedure - i will attach them here - don't hesitate to email me if I can help.
Very good answere....thank you :smt023
saguaro777
Basic User

Post by saguaro777 »

Capt, dont know about an article but he obviously feels pretty comfortable using his senses to get it right. Isnt that what a good mechanic would do in the good ole days? He showed me on my bike which screws to mess with and such but my bike seems to run pretty darn smooth as it is now so why mess with a good thing? If it aint broke why fix it? I know for a fact that his 04 1150rt was running crappy and stalling with very little milage on it, he told me he synched the tb's and now its purring. When I asked him his procedure thats when he showed me what to do. He feels his method of vibes, sound, idle speed and throttle response can do a better job than the mercury sticks or even a twinmax. He does a lot of maintenance on others bmw's here in phx and he always has an answer that holds merit when I ask him a question about my R1150R